We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

I am working with a tour operator to take a group to Tanzania. This will be my first time, and we are working on the first BIG question WHEN??

I have been researching and researching..reading articles, searching this forum etc..and still can't decide.

He is recommending May for the discounts he can get wtih the lodges etc. Low season..which I have read reasons to go- low cost, and not crowded, migration starts etc.

My struggle is I don't know if this will be my ONLY time to go and so of course if I am going, I want it to be the best opportunity to see wildlife etc. The norm that everyone wants I guess.

Love to get some overall feedback...and then specific feedback for May.

I have read on this forum a few people state they like Feb and Sept.

Love to see both the migration and others...

HELP!!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

Any time is a good time for a Tanzanian safari however if it was a once in a lifetime trip I would go in Feb.

and spend 4 days min in the Ndutu Naabi Hill area.

Here you are pretty much guaranteed to see the migration in all it glory.

If you are going in May it is not bad also after the long rains so the grass tends to be taller and sometimes more difficult to see smaller game (maybe) Also as your agent says low season as well so supposed to be cheaper.

In May it is green, fresh and plenty of animals everywhere visit a few National parks such as Tarangire Manyara Ngorongoro and the Serengeti.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

As you want the BEST, and you're agent is suggesting the CHEAPEST, there is either a mismatch or a budget constraint.

He might be offering the BEST for your budget!

The prices will vary considerably throughout the year, and accommodation will be limited, especially for groups. (what size is it?).

If it's any comfort, I don't think it will be your last time. By the sounds of it, you won't satisfy everyone in your group (a common problem), so you can always look forward to the time when you return on your own and go where you like.......

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

You will see plenty of wildlife any time you go. The migration is in the Serengeti for ten months of the year so they are there almost all year long. Other places have abundant wildlife also.

The trouble with doing research is that one will say one thing, and another something else. Only you can determine when the best time is for you.

I would personally say that if you want to see the migration for certain, then go in February. The rains and new grass it what moves the migration, except for nature. In February they are in the Ndutu area because that's where they go to have their calves so you are assured of seeing them there in February.

Fareham
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

Just got back (August 2010) and this was a great time to go - warm days - not hot, nice breeze, chilly at night. The only thing we missed was Kilimanjaro due to the constants clouds. (also missed Mt Kenya for same reason

Also saw loads of wildlife - so much we took 4,000 plus photos!!

rich

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

Thanks to everyone for your answers!

And I agree with doing research can make it confusing! But I just have to :-)

Are Giraffes there any time of year? They are my favorites...but BABIES of any kind are my absolute favorite....but not the whole circle of life thing. I know many would love to see that, but not me ! I know I know..I have to think it might happen.

Actually the group is not started...I am going to be putting the trip together and then getting people to go. I will be the organizer etc...

The thought was more people in general can afford the low season is why the tour guide is suggesting. I am the one contemplating when do I want to go then get it set to get a group together....

I know I should just think I am go back..just like Yellowstone I want to go all seasons..I still have the spring to go back there for the BABIES.

Keep the resonses coming in.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

AFAIK, giraffe don't eat grass, so don't need to migrate to find new grass. So, giraffe will be there, yes. Only the grass-eater migrate. Other animals might be territorial (and stay put), or eat other stuff and don't need to move.

You might see the young giraffe in a creche, with a couple of adults looking after them.

Enjoy, whenever you go.

Kigoma, Tanzania
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

Safari to East Africa June to February every year nice tyme

Duugu

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
343 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

"but BABIES of any kind are my absolute favorite....but not the whole circle of life thing. I know many would love to see that, but not me !"

February is baby season, I think...but I was kind of under the impression that with babies comes predators eating babies. So maybe you don't want to see babies after all *shrug*

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

I know on the babies...and circle of life...I will just have to close my eyes! (and ears).....

nyc
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Tanzania - WHEN to GO?

February is great especially for wildie babies and as divingprincesse mentions... along with the babies come the predators chumping at the bit for their little vittles. He he he he! Not a pretty picture, but those baby lions are a hoot with full bellies dragging on the ground they can barely keep up with their older brothers/sisters. Other species' babies are also born during spring months, but can be other months also.

If looking to save money, even though Apr/May are the wet months, so too is low season. Doesn't mean it will rain, but if it does shouldn't inhibit safari. All is green and less visitors. The other time when prices come down somewhat (from peak to high season) is Nov thru mid-Dec, another wet period.