We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping your valuables safe

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping your valuables safe

Hi All,

First I want everyone to know, I think about this where ever I travel. I am a little parinoid I guess. (Yes I do DOUBLE check my house doors at night and make sure that the stove is off )

How will I keep my valuables safe while on safari? We will be staying at only tented camps. There are no locks on tents obviously, so are there safes, or do you basically have to keep things with you all the time. It seems like a bit of a hassel if you have to keep your camera/ cash on you at all times.

Later we will be visiting Pemba Island, Fundu Lagoon, tent kind of acommadations as well. What has others done in these situations?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

It depends on the tented camp. I suggest you check with the organizing company. We stayed with CC Africa Serengeti under Canvas and we did have safes in the rooms. A multi pocketed vest will hold all your valuables and I imagine your camera will not be far from you. Good luck with this security concern.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,765 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

"It seems like a bit of a hassel if you have to keep your camera/ cash on you at all times."

What would you do in your own country? I know I keep my camera and cash with me most of the time.....

I have stayed in several places in Tanzania. All tents had safes or lockable Zanzinbari chests. So did beach resorts.

But what most places recommend is - give your valuables to the manager.

No camp or hotel wants a guest to say something is missing, so they prefer if you don't leave things lying around.

If you are on safari , how is it a hassle to have your camera with you? And how is it a hassle to have your wallet with you? The more I think about it, the more I think you are just a weeny bit over-concerned..

Certainly DO NOT leave a camera or cash in a hotel room or tent. (That goes for any country).

As one manager told me - you are much more likely to be robbed by fellow-guests than by staff....

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

Keep your valuables with you. You will have the camera at all times,no? And how heavy is a small wad of bills and a credit card or two? I brought all my cr@p up Kilimanjaro, and it was with me on the safari as well. No problems at all...

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

Your probably right in saying I am a bit over the top about this topic, but I do have reason. After you have had three break ins, in your home you become that way especially when it was in the middle of the night and you are the one chasing them out of your home.

I guess my referance is when at the beach, it is a little more the problem. We have lost two cameras to water in the past. We like to go for walks along the water so packing everything around is a hassel. I don't think it is a trouble to pack things around. It would be just nice to know that if you don't need your camera or whatever at dinner, then you had a safe option to use.

I guess I do worry about these things way to far in advance, but unfortunately this is how my brain works now. I will try to mellow out.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

I think the question is a good one. Especially when you add in that one of your valuables may well be a notebook computer. I can go without a laptop for a few days, but if I'm traveling for several weeks and doing photography, I like to have a laptop for backing up the photos and viewing and deleting and keeping my journal... not to mention some backup camera gear... mp3 player with books on it to save packing weight...

So it sounds like some of the under-canvas places do have safer storage... and this might be the determining factor in our selecting between a simpler camping experience - what we would have done when younger and poorer - versus a more middle-cost safari with more security for our stuff...

Not obsessive to think about how all these things affect one's travel experience... thanks for bringing it up!

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

Thanks,

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who wonders about these things.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

This isn't like asking about a trip to the Rapid City Motel 6 (kind of a dump last time I stayed there BTW) or the Jackson Hole KOA. For most of us posting questions, Tanzania is a pretty exotic place and we don't have a lot of reference experience to draw upon when we consider various aspects - I've spent a lot of time in a tent, but never been in a tent camp in Tanzania - so I enjoy reading all sorts of questions and responses to get a more personal feel.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

It is a legitimate question, and yes there is quite a bit of petty crime there. So you will need to make certain that you don't leave these things in your room and don't expose the when you are carrying them if at all possible. If you walk Samora Street in Dar es Salaam, or Sokoine Street in Arusha you will most probably have someone try to sell you a laptop or a camera, these aren't something which they are trying to dispose of for themselves, they have most probably been stolen from someone.

One thing which I always do when staying in a hotel there is I put a chair in front of the door that way if someone is trying to get in while I'm sleeping I will wake up when the chair is moved across the cement floor. Most doors there open inward. I also never leave anything of value in the room if I'm not in it, unless they have safes in the room (many do) with a combination that I can change. I also leave my things with the front desk if I know the place (which you won't) and never have whatever it is that is valuable in the open, I would always put it in something to give to the front desk so that it's not exposed.

You do have to be careful. It is a poor country and I've had some Tanzanians tell me that if you're a big elephant and someone takes a small bite out of you, you won't miss it.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

Thanks you everyone, although I think peterscott comment is a little condesending. If he read further, in the original post it also asked about when we are at the beach resort. Whether at home or somewhere else, I generally never carry cash or camera into the ocean.

I do plan on taking my camera with me most of the time. But one thing I have learned is, that I don't want to go home from my holiday and wonder what I saw,because I was so busy with my camera I actually missed the moment. I feel the moment is quite often so much more than just a picture.

Also, the reason I ask the question, is I have never been to tanzania, hence the question. I beleive he has had these experiences. That is why I seek experts advice on trip advisor. I hope he tries to keep that in mind when others are seeking answers.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
1,041 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keeping your valuables safe

I don't know if this will solve your problem or not, but when I snorkel or take a dip in the water I use a dry box around my neck to put my money, credit cards and even a room key. For the heck of it I Googled camera dry box and there are companies on the internet that sell dry box or dry bags for cameras. One was called the Water Proof Store. You might look into it if you're worried about leaving your camera on the beach and you don't want to take turns watching it or don't trust asking someone nearby to look after it.