We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania versus Kenya

Save Topic
Tanzania versus Kenya

We are trying to decide whether to plana safari in Tanzania ot Kenya (can't afford to do both!) Any recommendations?

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
775 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania versus Kenya

Based on one trip (2004) to both countries we liked Tanzania a lot more. Understand we had already been to Tanzania in 2002 so we had an afinity for there already. Again, although on limited experience we thought Kenya was much more commercialized than Tanzania. We felt more "laid back" in Tanzania. Have detailed trip report if you are interested (need email address). Undoubtedly, we may have been influenced by company we had in Kenya. Certainly did not care for the particulara guide as I could have spotted as much game as he did and indentify it as well. Will alert you ahead of time that roads in Kenya in general were terrible. Rough gravel roads with ruts are to be expected but we are talking about what had been excellent paved roads that had gone to heck. More people drove to the sides (on the berm) than did on the formal road.

Lest I sound completely negative on Kenya don't mean such. Given a choice I would take Tanzania and now that we have visited southern Tanzania we definitely want to return there particularly Ruaha. Enjoy making plans!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania versus Kenya

Hi

Having lived and worked in both places, i would say Tanzania, much more friendly, the parks are wilder & bigger and there is so much more to see, alo a good idea to mix a little cultural activities in with your itinerary.

Dar es Salaam
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania versus Kenya

I agree with both of them.

Thumbs up to the Tanzanian safaris

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania versus Kenya

Wegoustay: Very interested in as much info on Tanzania safaris as I can get. Planning a March trip to Grumeti. Email to: mr-mike2@hotmail.com...

Thanks!!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania versus Kenya

Blondie, Tanzania has more wildlife and more parks then Kenya. Nothing in Kenya can compare to the Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti, and Mount Kilimanjaro. You probably won't be disappointed in Tanzania. It addition, I always tell Tanzanians that I have seen very hospitable people all over the world; but I never knew true hospitality until I visited Tanzania a decade ago, and it's what keeps drawing me back, and back, and back.