We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage transfer between flights

Essex England
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage transfer between flights

Sorry to be a pain everyone but I seem to be getting conflicting info!

We are flying to Nairobi from Heathrow (TOMORROW!) arriving at around 06.30 monday. We have a onward flight to Kilimanjaro with Precision Air at 8a.m. Do we search out our luggage and check-in with Precision Air (in under 90 mins) or is the transfer of our bags done for us ' automatically'? If we do have to check in again, any tips? A ninety minute window doesn't seem that long.

This is such a first time thing for us, please forgive if I'm overly anxious!

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

If you can check-in all the way from London to JRO, please do that. Whether you do that or not, the next steps remain the same (based on my experience). When you get down in NBO, do not go to the immigration/baggage collection area, instead, make a left to the internal gates (I think, No: 12 or so). I did not have the boarding pass to JRO, so had to stand in a line in Gate:10 (I think). But he said I need to go to Gate:5(I think) where there will be a person who will transfer the luggage and give a tag. Then you go to other gate and wait for the person to show up. You will see other passengers too. If you had checked-through then I think he already has your name in a paper. If not, he notes it down from the baggage tags. He may tell you that he is very busy, not sure if he can finish transferring in time etc. I saw him asking for money from a fellow passenger. Eventually, few of us caught hold of a airline person from the gate and she went in and got it done, then I collected the boarding pass. This may be the exception case but it is good to be prepared if the baggage is delayed in your final destination and do not put any valuable in luggage.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

Hi,

I can't offer advice, but others might be able to if you say who your Heathrow flight is with?

Kenya Air own Precision, so they might have different arrangements from, say BA or VS.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

With a tight connecting time, you might consider packing your carry on with enough essentials to get you through a couple of days in case there is a problem. You'd hate not to have the necessary layers to keep you warm. I hope all goes well and that you have a fabulous time.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

Try to check it through, barring that then try to get it plane-side in Nairobi and recheck it at the Transfer desk.

Essex England
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

Many thanks for this - very helpful.

Hedgehopper

Essex England
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

Many thanks for this - very helpful. Better to be forewarned.

Hedgehopper

Essex England
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

Many thanks for this.

Hedgehopper

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

Precision is a code share with Kenya Air. Your bags can be tagged thru to JRO. On arrival NBO, go to the Kenya Air Transfer Desk for them to provide ongoing boarding pass and also enable you to collect your bags (without having to obtain a Kenya Visa). Once bags in-hand, they cann be rechecked, then you head to the gate from where the Precision flight will depart.

As Karl mentions, do be sure to have necessary items in carryon should your main bag be delayed, but know if for some reason your bag missed the 8am Precision flight, there is another mid- and late-day so you bags can be put on one of those to JRO. If this happens, it's the responsibility of the airline to get that bag/s to you at your hotel, your ground operator or wherever you'll be day 1.

9. Re: Luggage transfer between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 06:40