We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari suitability

Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safari suitability

Hi

My mum is keen to accompany my partner and myself on a safari holiday I'm planning for later this year. She is, however, in her early eighties and not that robust - has asthma and needs the loo at pretty frequent intervals. i'm also concerned about her reaction to any anti-malarial treatments, altho her GP says it shouldn't be a problem. So, any thoughts on how much of a problem the toilet - or lack of - issue is likely to be? And any ideas for a maybe less strenuous, gentle intro to a safari trip that still allows us to see plenty of wildlife? Not necessarily the big five, we're interested in birdlife, flora etc

Any thoughts much appreciated

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Other Outdoor Activities
African Scenic Safaris
Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari suitability

Hi

Sorry i must have clicked the wrong place i answered this under the heading "safari for mom"

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari suitability

Katy.. Last year on 2 occassions I've had elderly people with me in Tanzania. On one trip a good friend who was 78 was with me for one month and we spent several days out in the parks. We went to Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater and he got along very well, keeping right up with me. This man has traveled a lot all over the world, and when he came back he told me that was the best trip he had ever taken. There were another 2 who were in their 80's who went to these same 2 places and then went by themselves to the Serengeti for 3 or 4 days. Got along OK. I always hesitate on stopping to let someone go to the loo out in the parks. I would suggest that they stay close to the vehicle so they can get back in quickly if necessary. Remember, these are not zoo animals and some could be dangerous. Other then that why shouldn't someone enjoy themselves. They aren't old yet. I've always said that old is 17 years older then I am at that time; and I hope that I can say that at 90.