We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laundry on safari

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Laundry on safari

trying to take as little as possible for our nov 19th trip! , does any one know which of the following do laundry?

1st night

ilboru

tarangire safari lodge

ngorongoro wildlife lodge

ndutu lodge

serengeti wilderness camp

lobo wildlife lodge

pongwe beach hotel

sunshine hotel

zanzibar serena inn

Last night

nyc
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Laundry on safari

They should all do laundry for a small fee each piece. Best to arrange to have this done wherever you're staying at least 2/nts. At most all places laundry is line-dried, it's good to have more than 1/day if by chance there is some rain which in November is possible.

Remember though that women's "smalls" (underwear) are not laundered, so either bring enough for the trip or wash yourself and hang to dry indoors (if outside, the vervet monkeys might have a party with these).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laundry on safari

Our safari experience, at several camps/lodges, is that one can easily wear the same basic pieces for a couple of days, unless the weather is very hot. So, dress for the day's outing, come back and shake off all the dust, shower and change for the evening, and repeat next day. Hopefully you will get answers re:specific lodges. I hope you have a wonderful time and post a report when you return.

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laundry on safari

We did not stay in any of these lodges, can't be specific. Most probably, they all will have. Unless you stay at least 2 nights in one place, it will be difficult to get laundry done.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laundry on safari

At most hotels/lodges in Tanzania you can get your laundry done. If submitted early in the morning it will typically be back by 5pm.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laundry on safari

I've just asked my team in Tanzania if lodges/camps will wash underwear and the answer was a very clear yes, they all do.

I have noticed that some accommodations seem to charge extra to wash that article of clothing, but you don't actually need to do it yourself.

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laundry on safari

That's interesting, I accidently put a pair of undies in my laundry one day, and when I got back all the laudry was gone, but the undies. Also all the lodges and tent camps said no undies, except one that used machines instead of hand washing.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 15:00
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
1,022 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laundry on safari

I bought packets of laundry soap at REI and AAA just incase I needed to rinse out underwear. All of our accomodations did laundry including underwear. They charged between $1 and $2 per item and turn around time was the same day if they got it in the morning. They did a nice job and it was quite convenient. So, don't be afraid to pack very lightly.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 15:01
Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Laundry on safari

Its a bit funny...but this is what I did in the evenings after safari....

I had small packs of detergent. Filled up the tub. Hand washed my clothes. I hung them around the room. Whatever didnt dry during the night, I took with me and hung it all over our vehicle to dry throughout the day. The jeep got so hot, everything dried great! But, yeah it kinda looked a little silly...the whole back of the jeep had laundry hanging. And yeah Im sure Yuda could have done without seeing Mr WR's undies..but whatever. haha

Because we were only in places for one night, it was hard to send laundry out. And at a $1 per peice, this can make for one expensive load of laundry. After spending thousands on safari...all of a sudden I got cheap. Go figure! :)

But.....we went on safari during wet season and there was no dust. Im sure my suggestion is no good if its dry season.

Edited: 11 October 2010, 02:53
9. Re: Laundry on safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 06:20