We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short-Drop Toilets

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Short-Drop Toilets

I can't find anything on what this is. Some of the deluxe mobile camps, such as Nomad, use short-drop toilets. What the heck is that? And as long as we are on the subject, what's a bucket shower? Is that where the staff heats water and pours it into a bucket, and then you let it loose when you're ready? I need help, and thanks. :O)

Joliet, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

A hole in the ground and getting cold water out of a bucket and pouring it on yourself.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

Hi

The shower will probably be a bucket which has a shower rose fixed to it, and you shower as normal, turn off while soaping up, short drop is a portable toilet :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,823 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

Long drop is a wooden seat over a deep 'permanent ' hole in the ground. Short drop, new one on me, is what achnab says. Either what we used to call an Elsan Pan but with the onset of plastic, posh folk call a Porta Potti.

I had a shower with a Rose once. Lovely girl!

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

LOLOL Mfuwe...You are so funny! I nearly spit my coffee out!!

Edited: 19 November 2010, 10:21
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

<<I had a shower with a Rose once>>

Does Mrs M know about this?

Ivan

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,823 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

You mean about me having a shower once, or Rose?

Edited: 19 November 2010, 14:40
Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

I just found a photo of a Nomad toilet in an April 9 2010 long trip report. The writer refers to it as long-drop although I read somewhere Nomad uses short-drop toilets (whatever the difference is). It's a wooden box with a toilet seat with cover. Beside it is a bucket of dirt that you finish with. Hmmmm. How to explain this to my finicky husband. I'm just exploring the various camp options, and this one might be a stretch. I don't think camping is our thing. :O)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

What it says on the tin! As explained above,

'long drop' = hole about 6 feet deep. Perfectly adequate.

'short drop' = either shallow hole or chemical toilet, simialr to domestic flush toilet, but no water and portable. Perfectly adequate.

Neither encourages extended visits. If the toilet is where you normally do your thinking or catch up with the Sunday newspapers, then you will probably change your habits for the duration.

I have heard some amusing stories of incidents at these types of facilities, but I don;t want to put anyone off. They are fine, and part of the adventure. They are not 'roughing it'. They are a practical solution to a potential major problem - human pollution.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,823 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

AH! Dear Wanderlust,

The black arts of waste disposal are many and varied from a walk into the Bush with a spade and a box of matches to a high folluting all singing bells and whistles throneroom. They all do the same job (no puns pls!)

Lest we get too technical I will just add that the bucket of sand/dirt is so that a handfull can follow what has gone before down the hole. It is not, as my friend discovered, for use instead of tissue. His eyes watered for days!

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

Well, now that we have that straightened out. Thank you, peterscot. I am sure they are perfectly adequate, but, for me, a lovely flush is something to look forward to. And, Mfuwe, I had to laugh! Thank you for clarifying the use of the dirt bucket lest we lead someone astray! Ginny