We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short-Drop Toilets

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Short-Drop Toilets

I can't find anything on what this is. Some of the deluxe mobile camps, such as Nomad, use short-drop toilets. What the heck is that? And as long as we are on the subject, what's a bucket shower? Is that where the staff heats water and pours it into a bucket, and then you let it loose when you're ready? I need help, and thanks. :O)

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

<<If the toilet is where you normally do your thinking or catch up with the Sunday newspapers, then you will probably change your habits for the duration.>>

So funny Peter!!!

Ginny, if youre dealing with an already finicky husband...go for the flush toilet! He might end up spending more time on one than he wishes. MR WR was sick the entire time, which added insult to injury, cause he didnt want to go to TZ in the first place!

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

Most excellent advice from someone who understands. Thanks, Nikki!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

HI,

I like flushing toilets as much as the next person, but ask yourself (or ask your agent / hosts) "where does the water come from and go to?"

You are in a wilderness. By installing plumbing and cesspits, we are in danger of destroying or impairing the very thing we travel across the world to enjoy.

Whatever happened to "Take only photos, leave only footprints"?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

You also asked about the bucket shower. We enjoyed those while in a tented camp with Under Canvas. Your personal shower enclosure is private. A large, cylindrical canvas bucket holds the water; it is filled at your request, usually after the day's game drives. It certainly holds more than enough hot water for two indulgent showers, or a very, very long one if you shower together! And then, you wrap up in the provided, plush bathrobes and sip some wine...mmmmm! We will tent with Nomad this spring. Send me a pm if I can give more info.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

<<You mean about me having a shower once>>

I think Mrs M might get a whif that you only had one shower!!

Ivan

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

<<leave only footprints"?>>

Peter! You are not supposed to stand on the seat!!

Ivan. Well I think she is used to me by now! My lips are sealed as to what happened when I walked in after six weeks in the Bush and 24 hours on the plane!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

Wanderlust112

I had not heard of short drops until this string of postings. However, long drops I did have experience with on two trips. I guess it was lucky for me that both trips were taken during their summer, when it was extremely hot and so most of the liquid I was intaking, evaporated out. Thus even if out all day, when I encountered a long drop (which was a small enclosure, with a couple of maybe concrete footprints on the ground and a hole), I just passed on it until we got some place that at least had a seat). Most had no toilet tissue, smelled bad, and for anyone with back issues, it is terribly hard to balance yourself while squatting.

I'd highly recommend on your trip that you take a supply of wet wipes (individually packaged so they don't dry out) and a couple of partial rolls of toilet paper (I save them when they get down to the last 1/3) with you. You can always give away what you don't use. Many of the 'necessary stops' whether they had flush toilets or long drops had no paper or way to wash your hands.

I had friends when I returned that asked me about the 'camping experience in Africa'. Then they saw my photos. Depending on the camps, I was elated to see a flush toilet, shower with hot water (many times too hot) and a sink right inside the tent.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

<<I just passed on it >>

Quite!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

Short drops when I was a kid at sleep-away camp... and it was shared! With 3/holes on a board and a bucket of sand or lye... oh, the good ole days. :) If I had known then, this experience was training me for years in Africa!!!

Long drops are more common with a "thunder box w/seat" atop, with chemical flush; never had any smells at camps (mobile/seasonal) that used these.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Short-Drop Toilets

Men who make nocturnal visits to long drops should always use a head torch.

Experience has shown that tucking the maglite under your chin while your hands are busy can lead to unexpected results, if an owl should hoot overhead.....

Those batteries can last for days, and no-one likes being in the spotlight while in the bush!

:-)