We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

I am looking for a budget tent to sleep in but a guided, private vehicle to travel around the northern Serengeti in. Any recommendations for reputable UK or Arusha safari companies?

Luxury camps are fine for honeymooners but I want to see the animals first and foremost - hoping to catch the migration in October.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

There are plenty of budget companies who offer mobile camping in public campsites and often mentioned on this forum.

I would never travel with a UK company in Tanzania as I prefer to give local companies business.

Try Swala Safaris, Sunny safaris, Sunny Adventure, Basecamp, Shidolya or Warrior Trails. But there are many more out there.

Mentioned in this post
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

I'm up for correction, but don't believe there are any "public' campsites in the Northern Serengeti. There are a few "special" campsites that have to be prebooked and would be somewhat more expensive than public sites would be. This site will then be for your private use only along with guide/vehicle and cook to do camp set-up (sleeping tents, shower and loo tents, prepare meals).

If only visiting the North (what time of year), and not elsewhere in the northern circuit, you'd have to fly in/out (airfare about $250 each way)... driving would take entire day of daylight hours between Arusha and north and that's without stopping for any game viewing along the way; many outfitters may actually require an overnight midway for safety reasons and there's no driving on park lands in the dark, nor do you want to be.

So if flying, the guide/cook would meet you here for your stay; meet you at airstrip on arrival and deposit you at airstrip for flight back to Arusha.

If you feel more comfortable dealing with a UK tour operator know that they have to use an in-country outfitter to handle your time on-the-ground. So use some of the names as mentioned by noexpert who can be contacted direct. Send them email with your specifics: when visiting, how many days, estimated budget, etc... see how they reply and be sure to compare apples-to-apples.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

Hi

Lobo has a public campsite in case it helps :-)

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

Asante Achnab

California
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

There are multiple posts about good safari providers. Would recommend (standing on my soapbox) using a local company and supporting domestic tourist industry.

Safari providers generally getting positive feedback, Basecamp safaris, safarimakers, Roys safaris....... there are more. Generally speaking get quotes from at least 3 providers for your trip and work from there. I have visited Tanz previously in 2007 and used safarimakers and had an excellent trip (minor car trouble).

Many people choose to use a provider regsitered with www.tatotz.org (Tanzania Association of Tour Operators).

Edited: 03 December 2010, 15:44
Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

Thank you everyone!! With mobile tent safari's can they literally move around the serengeti from one public campsite to the next at a drop of a hat or do they need to book specific sites weeks in advance?

And would a local safari company also know enough about a few days relax on Zanzibar?

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

Basically a budget "mobile" safari using public sites can move daily, if that's what you want; but still best to be assured space on such sites depending on when you plan to visit. When it comes to the "special" sites, as these are for you alone, you definitely have to be prebooked.

Regarding ZNZ, any outfitter in Arusha arranging the safari segment can also book this, including your transport to/from mainland and island the island, hotel, meet/greet and transfers to/from airport or ferry dock.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

Thanks Sandi. On the whole are tents in special camps more or less expensive than staying at a lodge. Just trying to weigh up staying in lodges and driving out each day vs. tenting but also being tied to private pre-booked sites. The public stites seem to have quite grotty toilets from what I hear. WE hope to go October to catchthe migration in the N serengeti so I suppose we would have to find camp sies or lodges up there.

9. Re: Budget (mobile?) camping safari in N Serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2011, 06:38