We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti in April

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Serengeti in April

Hello all again

I will be in the seringeti mid april with the family - very much hope to be around the same time as the migration.

Given I will be there for at least 4 nights. I plan to stay at the serera for a few nights but I understand there is options to say at mobile tented camps that move with the migration?

If this is so, could I have some advice please....

Cheers

1. Re: Serengeti in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 10:22
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti in April

Hi Mobile tented camps don't move with the migration. They are camps set up in special campsites booked sometimes months in advance and set in an area where the operator guesses the migration will be at that time. Some few operators have mobile camps which normally take two or three days to move. So you could be in Seronera for two days and then the next 2 days in a lodge then the following days 2 - 4 in an other special campsite in a different location same tents same cook etc. But the locations need to be booked in advance and sometimes for the Ndutu area 12 months in advance.

For example if your group is travelling in June and you want a "mobile camp experience" and you want it to "follow the migration." Then you tell the operator and he will book the special campsites to suit your agreed upon itinerary months in advance. When you confirm your safari in fact. He or she will guess where they hope/expect the migration will be and book.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti in April

noexpert mentions Ndutu, that would actually be a great place during April. If Ndutu safari lodge is fully booked, have a look at Lake Masek tented camp, it's in the same general area. The central Seronera area is also good during April so at Serena you should be fine. April is too soon to go further west or north and you should not expect any river crossings. April is in the rainy season which means few tourists and some very muddy roads, but there should be plenty of wildebeest around.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti in April

Do you mean.. don't go further west of Ndutu?... I intended to end up at Seronera to fly out, via a few nights at the Sopa seringeti and a few nights at the Serena Serengeti. If I can't get to seronera then I'm going have to rethink my plan....

Cheers

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti in April

I think Seronera is one of the best places for April. Sopa Serengeti for the first 2 nights is fine for the second two nights Serena Serengeti will be fine.

Flying from Seronera airstrip from either Sopa or Serena in the Serenegti will work.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Serengeti in April

stupendus

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,784 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serengeti in April

I think Onne meant further west of Serenera. i.e. Out into the corridor.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Serengeti in April

Seronera area would be best.

If the herds are there you're well positioned. If some of the herds still farther south you can game drive down that way, and if by some miracle some have moved west, you can game drive in that direction.

An 11am flight departure gives you more than enough time to get to airstrip from most any property in the Central area.

9. Re: Serengeti in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 05:17