We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble with KLM & Delta?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble with KLM & Delta?

We are having a difficuly time confirming our seats with Delta and KLM. We are flying from JFK to JRO and Delta is giving us the run around about confirming our seats.

Is anyone else having or had this problem, what did you do? We don't want non-reclining seats on an overnight flight and would like to upgrade to premium seating. Any help you could give us would be much much appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

Heather

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

I've never had any difficulty with this. I always do it on their web site.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

I think my experience might be able to help. I don't want to try and explain how it works. I will just explain what I have done and what I've been told.

I have 5 seats to JRO from MSP this January. For months, I could not select seats on the KLM legs (AMS to JRO and DAR to AMS), but I could select them for the MSP to AMS and return legs. This, I was told, is because Delta allows for seat selection whereas KLM (and other European airlines) do not, or at least not until flight time is closer - I want to say 60 or 90 days out.

So more recently, I contacted them again (I need to know our seating arrangement as I'm bringing a 2-year old and a 4-year old) and I learned that I actually have 2 sets of flight confirmation codes - 1 for Delta and 1 for KLM. I was advised to contact KLM with my KLM flight confirmation code to get seats assigned. Apparently, I was supposed to be able to select seats online for the KLM portions (on KLM's website using the KLM confirmation codes), but that didn't work so I called them. Someone over the phone at KLM was able to help me select my seats. I think they are confirmed and these are the seats I'll have, but I will only be able to tell you that after January.

Hope this helps.

san francisco
Level Contributor
644 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

I have frequently had problems on various trips when I have tix with one company that is serviced by another. Now I try to buy from a single company when they are the carrier the entire way.

When we go next summer I am planning to use KLM from SFO direct to AMS then next day direct to EBB. Then back from DAR. Question is: should we break the trip with a one-night stand in AMS or just tough it out with a 24-hour travel marathon on the way back? I am leaning towards the 24-hour marathon.

Bill

Saskatoon
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

We fly in February with KLM- Calgary>Amsterdam>Kilamanjaro with our flight home leaving from Dar Es Salaam (rather than Kilmanjaro). I booked the flights online and had no difficullty booking seats 90 days prior our departure for our arrival flights. For our return fllights, I again waited the 90 days and had a problem with the Dar Es Saleem to Amsterdam leg. After trying for several days, I phoned and they booked seats for us. When I went online the next day, I was then able to make the changes that I wanted.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

I'm having the same problem and have been unable to confirm seats on our KLM flights in January. I tried calling KLM but only had the Delta confirmation numbers so that was unsuccessful as well. Please let us know if you have success and how you do it!

CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

Yes, I've definitely had problems using Delta and KLM. I hear it's because their computer systems can't "talk" to each other. I called Delta and they were extremely unhelpful and unsympathetic about the situation. They told me not to worry and that since I bought my ticket and my boyfriend's ticket at the same time, we'll definitely be siting next to each other. They also told me I could get my seats once I checked in at the airport. What they didn't tell me is that I had to wait until I was in AMS (the KLM portion of the leg) to get my seats. I was hoping I could get my seats when I checked in @ Delta. I tried calling KLM but they needed my confirmation numbers and all I had were Delta confirmation numbers.

In the end, KLM was great. I had an hour layover and that was plenty of time to get my seats and they also confirmed my seats on my return travel.

If you bought your tickets together, then they should keep your family together. If you bought it separately, there could be an issue. Good luck!

Edited: 28 December 2010, 02:13
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

I want to emphasize that Delta gave me my KLM confirmation numbers over the phone and then I was able to select seats on KLM by calling their office in the US.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

What Brian has mentioned is exactly what worked for me. I booked on Delta via Detroit which switched to KLM from Amsterdam to Nairobi. I could easily select my seats until the KLM portion. I was concerned about not being able to sit where I wanted as it was the last long leg of the flight and I wanted an aisle seat nearer the bathrooms.

I found the toll free number for KLM on their website. I called them 90 days out and a nice guy explained that it could be challenging to book seats on the KLM site. So he asked me where I wanted to sit, I told him the seat and he booked it for me (same seat but 1 row back). He also told me the KLM confirmation number. He was able to place me in a seat for the return flight more than 90 days out but he suggested that, with the KLM confirmation number, when I was exactly 90 days out from the return flight, I check it out to make sure I was indeed in that seat. When I did that, I found I was not where he said I would be (I was about 10 rows further back) but I could easily move myself with the KLM confirmation number.

Hope it works for you.

New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

Interesting. I booked my trip all flights on KLM, but when I called the KLM number I was actually speaking to someone at Delta, it appears that Delta handles all flights in the US for KLM??? In any case, 90 days out from my trip from JFK to AMS, I went on the KLM website with my confirmation number and chose my seats. Now, when I go to the Delta website and use the same confomation number, it does not show the seats I chose? Then, 90 days out from my returen from Arusha to AMS, I did the same, chose my seats on the KLM website, and sure enough the seatsa that I chose on the first leg show up. I then checked back with Delta, and again nothing shows.. All I know is KLM seems to be working ok.. BTW the confirm number that you recieve from Delta is the same as the one you can use with KLM. Again, Delta seems to be handeling all KLM booking in the US.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trouble with KLM & Delta?

Almona47

Interesting. The confirmation number I received when I booked with Delta was different than the confirmation number I had on KLM (all part of the original flight booked on line with Delta). Actually, to totally confuse all, when I originally booked the flights, they were booked on line through Northwest. But that was before Northwest changed to Delta. I did have a slight problem because while I was actually on the trip, I received an email from Delta, which I didn't get because I was gone. In order to confirm my return flights, I had to go through the Delta website. Course I was not enrolled at the time with log in/password account set up. So just before returning to the U.S., when I went to confirm my reservations on line at the hotel, I couldn't do it (via Northwest) because I couldn't set up an account (with Delta). My guide ended up going to the KLM office in Nairobi with my paper receipt, to confirm my return flights. It was really confusing but all worked out.