We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer and Bathrooms

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Beer and Bathrooms

A couple of nitty-gritty questions

At the risk of starting a controversy... what is the best beer we will find available in Tanzania?

and, in a related issue... we know there are lots of safari travelers who are... let us say... "of an age." Often, by the time we can afford to travel, we are old enough to have some general health concerns as well. Men, in particular, find the ratio of # of beers / trips to the bathroom becomes precipitously smaller.

For that reason, though I've spent probably the equivalent of 6 months of my life sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag, we have decided to go with en suite nowadays

So... when an older couple is bouncing around in a safari vehicle for multiple hours per day, what is the standard approach to calls of nature while away from lodgings? Do men just ask for a roadside stop and "make a stance" at the rear of the vehicle while guide and spouse gaze toward the forward horizon? Are bushes available to provide a little private moment while women attend to their needs?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Beer... toilets... seemed to go together...

nyc
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

Beer - Tanzania's "Kili" is good, as well Kenya's "Tusker Export"

Do a search re "potty calls in the bush" (or similar theme) - many many threads. You'll be fine!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

There are three main Tanzanian beers

Kiliminjaro a lighter beer 4.5% a/v

Premium Serengeti Lager 4.8% a/v

Safari Lager 5.5% a/v

I prefer Kilimanjaro.

If you are drinking in the vehicle I would discuss openly with the guide your habits and requirements.

I used to drink Tusker 4.2% a/v but then switched to Kilimanjaro. Obviously Tusker is a lot lighter beer.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

Thanks for your replies. I spent about 20 minutes searching using "toilet" "potty" "bush" "stop" "break" and found only one thread - but I think it covers the basics... men to the front, women to the rear, eh?

On the Grand Canyon, it is Women upstream, Men downstream... the theory being it is easiest to remember because men pull down their pants and women lift up their skirts. Pretty quaint by today's standards.

tripadvisor.com/…21630635

thanks for the advice on the beer. I tend to like a darker beer, while my wife likes a sharp pilsner style. I suspect we'll give them all a try eventually.

As to drinking in the vehicle... I don't want to leave the impression I'd actually be drinking anything stronger than water in the vehicle - just thinking about that age old compromise between frequent rehydration and disposing of the results. We don't actually drink much, but we have found that beer provides a nice, safe alternative to water with meals...

still hoping for more votes on the beer poll - and any descriptions like "Kili somewhat resembles..."

thanks!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

Pilsner is available but don't have a bottle with me, and I always found beer a good alternative to water.

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

Sandi great idea about the coffee filter (in the 2009 post)!

IA-just be sure that if your guide is the one making frequent stops...you do NOT offer him to "help himself" inside your bag of pretzels....Just sayin!!!

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

Ndovu, safari and Serengeti beers are nice and more like the slightly darker european beers, Kili is a bit sweet for my taste, tusker & castle are standard lager (like the stuff served in uk pubs)

There are some micro breweries popping up round Morogoro and also Iringa, sorghum and millet beers amongst those being produced we are starting to see them in some bars

but being brutally honest, a lager is a lager, I prefer real ale (bitter) and generally go for a G&T or wine here as bitter isn't really available. but for those with a more refined palate than me taste testing to find a personal favorite could add a further dimension to the safari experience

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

You would like the stout beer.. can never remember the name of it. Or Safari.

I prefure a very cold Serengeti or 5.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

Typically most Americans will like Kilimanjaro as it's somewhat like Budwiser. I also like Serengeti, and for a dark beer you might want to dry Castle's Milk Stout which I like on occassions.

There is also Safari which is a much sharper beer IMO, and I don't care for it. The same for Ndutu.

Kilimanjaro is probably the best seller in Tz.

Sometimes when you are outside major cities it is difficult to find a good cold beer if they refrigerate it, the cooler will be turned way down to conserve electricity; thus, warmer beer.

My physician has told me to not drink anything with alcohol, due to a pancreatic problem; but I have convinced him (well not all that convincing) that I drink beer in Africa for health reasons (I don't like to drink much water). So I don't drink beer anymore when I'm home, but I do there. My advise, try them all.

On the bush stops for calls of nature. I'm 73 years old and I can relate to what you are saying. Any of your drivers will stop he vehicle in an appropriate place if you tell him that you need a "short call" . It's a common occurance there and they think nothing of it. Buses will stop at some midpoint locations out in the middle of nowhere and people will get off and sometimes men and women will be mixed together, according to their comfort level. Being a rather modest person I typically find a solitary location behind a bush for myself.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

Idiotsabroad

Not just an age thing. My guide who was quite a bit younger than myself, needed to stop much more frequently than I did. He claimed he was "checking the tires". I kidded him about then only checking the spare as he was just standing at the rear of the vehicle, not moving. We had a good laugh about it. Nature calls, and what are you going to do. We're all human.

We always had a couple of beers in the cold box and I much prefer Tuskar over the Serengeti or Kili beer. Tried one of their 'light' beers and it didn't have much flavor. Even the cold box beer was definitely warmer than what I'd drink at home, so be careful as you seem to get a buzz faster. Makes it a little more challenging getting out of the vehicle. But should nature call, after some warm beer, your modesty significantly declines. Not being a big fan (basically no fan) of going behind a vehicle (bad back), I requested that the guide let me know when we were about 30 minutes from the lodge or tented camp. That's when I'd open the can. Course sometimes that 30 minutes was Africa time or we'd encounter some exciting animal photo opportunity which delayed us. In those cases, I would just make a bee line for the bathroom closest the reception area when we arrived.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer and Bathrooms

My preference has always been Kilimanjaro, followed by Ndovu if I fancy a change.