We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

I just came back from Zanzibar two days ago and nobody asked to see the YF certificate but I've just received word that they will now start requiring it. I have not confirmed this information but thought I should pass it along. It sounds like it might only apply to those going to Zanzibar, but I don't know anything for sure yet.

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

Hi Brian,

There has been a little confusion over this in the last few days. Initially we received advice stating that Zanzibar would now require the certificate irrespective of where you are travelling from or your route. At the time we felt this odd as Tanzania itself had not changed its position, however felt it best to warn our guests just in case they got jabbed on arrival which would not be ideal!

Today we have received a new notification from the Ministry of Health in Zanzibar that supersedes any previous that states:

‘all arrivals from endemic countries including Africa and South America must be vaccinated against yellow fever and show the certificate at the point entries in Zanzibar. Direct arrivals from non endemic countries in Europe and North America are not required to show the certificate but are highly recommended to take shots against yellow fever for own safety’

So in short it appears that things are back to normal.... for the moment.

It’s worth mentioning here that a flight via Nairobi for example does not count as direct so you would require the certificate. Once you have had it done you need a booster within one year and then you will be covered for 10 years. – If in any doubt always consult your doctor.

I hope this clears things up.

Kind regard

Pure Zanzibar

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

The first injection lasts ten years. You only need a booster after that. Therefore even less trouble to get it done and be safe.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

Here are updated information from Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to Zanzibar Commission of Tourism and stakeholders:-

1.All guests/visitors arriving from Non Endemic Yellow Fever zone(s) (ie.Europe and North America) will not be required to show the Yellow Fever vaccination certificate on their arrival to Tanzania.

2.All guests/vistiors whom on their way to Tanzania have passed through Endemic Yellow Fever zone(s),they didn't leave out of that country's airport they will be treated like those in (1) above.

3.All guests/visitors whom on their way to Tanzania have passed through Endemic Yellow Fever zone(s) and get out of that country's airport, they will be required to show their yellow fever certificates on their arrival to Tanzania otherwise they will be required to receive vaccination at the entry point on their arrival to Tanzania (vaccination fee is US $ 50)

4.All guests from the Endemic Yellow Fever zone(s) will be treated as those in (3) above

5.All guests/visitors from Tanzania mainland to Zanzibar will not be required to show their yellow fever vaccination certificate because Zanzibar is inside the United Republic of Tanzania

6.Incase a guest/visitor is forced to pay a vaccination fee at the entry point without being vaccinated then he/she is advised to mark/write down the time when such incidence has occured and report it to the company which has contracted safari with, (This is because the officials at entry point work on routine basis therefore it is easy for the responsible government department to detect on who was on duty at that time so that disciplinary measures can be taken)

It is just back to normal,but it is strickly ordered.

Also be care that Airport can use this a deal to make money in illegal way.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

I just got the updated letter right after I submitted my post.

To me, I continue to just recommend that everyone get the shot because things can change without notice.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

http://www.tanzania.go.tz/tips.html

Health

Visitors from countries infected with yellow fever must produce international certificates of vaccination; this is particularly relevant for those traveling from neighbouring African countries. If visiting Zanzibar from mainland Tanzania, a yellow fever certificate must be produced. The British Department of Health recommends vaccinations against hepatitis A, polio and typhoid. It is essential for visitors to take a course of anti-malaria tablets, commencing two weeks before travel.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

At one time, don't recall how many years back, even those living and/or arriving ZNZ from mainland Tanzania required YF inoc. Then that was changed to, in effect, if visiting both Tanzania/Zanzibar the same inoc held for both areas - mainland & island (also if visiting Pemba and Mafia).

And, those transiting thru an endemic country, i.e.,Nairobi and remaining airside (not actually entering the country), do not require the YF inoc.

Appears with the confusion, that info posted by Zanzilandholidays, is what people are going with.

Remember though that those over age 60, or with supressed immune systems, or are allergic to eggs, for whom this inoc can be dangerous, can/must have a "waiver" letter from their physician on their letterhead to this effect.

So for East Africa specifically, if you've been in Kenya, Rwanda or Uganda, then onto Tanzania/Zanzibar, you require the YF inoc for entry.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

just a note - flying between Mainland tz and mafia is not an issue with regard to immigration or vaccinations - there is no one there to check as mafia is counted as mainland tz politically and all flights come and go via the mainland.

8. Re: Zanzibar now requiring yellow fever certificate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2012, 07:16