We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

I know Tanzania is a long far away from Libya and other side of Africa. Should one be concerned with any thing in Tanzania regarding the crisis in Libya or any other of the Arabic nations of northern Africa? thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

I think it won;t do any harm to be aware of the impact of NATO actions, and how these can be interpreted by different people, but, overall, I can;t see it having much impact on a trip to Tanzania.

Local feedback would be useful if someone is in Tanzania at the moment.

Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

Well i am here - thus far, no, no impact. It's on the news and people are aware of it but that's about it.

Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

Libyan investment is huge in sub-Saharan Africa. Eventually there will be some economic impact, but who know when and in what way.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

In Dodoma there is a very prominent mosque which was recently constructed, it's called the Gaddafi Mosque because it was purported to be funded by him/Libya. I've always assumed that it was built there because Dodoma is the capital, and while there is an Islamic population there it has never appeared to me to be large enough to support something like this.

You also need to keep in mind that Gaddafi was the Chairperson of the African Union in 2009/10 and that gave both him and Libya some sense of prestige which still remains in African countries; along with him spreading the wealth of Libya around to different African countries. It was no surprise when the African Union voted to oppose the "no-fly zone" imposed by the recent UN resolution.

Now having said all that, I doubt that you would hear much when you are there or see much concerning Libya for that matter. Tanzanians are both hospitable people and non-confrontational so no one will get in your face on some geo-political situation; especially if you are there for a safari which means that you will be in the Northern Circuit most likely.

And as I always advise people traveling there, don't try to see what is going on if a large crowd gathers for whatever reason. Don't get involved in political discussions with any locals you might meet or come in contact with. You won't know enough to enter into the conversation, no matter how well read you think you are. You have to understand Tanzania culture, history, and its own political system, and few of us know all that. I have had political discussions with politicians at all levels there including Presidents and former Presidents, but I always couched my words very carefully in certain areas of discussion. Unless you have been there a lot, and been to more than the tourist areas, you wouldn't have a clue on how to properly conduct, or the protocol involved, in a political discussion there.

So go and enjoy yourself and you will be fine. If someone asks you a question about this conflict, a proper answer to them would be "I don't get involved with politics" and go to another subject.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

Karl, fantastic advice, insight and thoughts, as usual.

I am confident that the Libya situation will have zero impact on tourists in Tanzania, apart from a simple conversation.

Level Contributor
15,064 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

Spot on Karl.

Hey, we all know that having a political discussion amongst our friends/family can be challenging, so why get involved when in a country other than your own.

Overall, what is happening in Libya, Iraq, Afghanastan or other areas of conflict, shouldn't have any impact on your holiday in Tanzania.

Go and enjoy!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
423 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

We started our safari before the Libya crisis and when we got back to Arusha and a television found that the Libya crisis was in full swing. It hasn't made a difference so far and I would think it would be unlikely in the northern safari circuit area.

8. Re: Backlash from Libya crisis in Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 19:17