We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
101 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

I am going to travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar in July.

I need to do it in one day, and have a limited budget.

I had thought about taking a bus to Dar Es Salaam and the ferry to Zanzibar. But i'm not sure I can make it in one day?

Another way, could be taking a bus to Tanga and catch a plane to Zanzibar.

What would you recomend?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

The bus will cost you ~$10 and the ferry will cost about $35. Taxi from the Bus terminal to the Ferry Port will probably be close to 20,000 Tsh.

As for timing you will need to leave Tanga or get from Lusotho to Mombo on the main Dar road, and catch a bus before about 7:00am. Then catch the Dar bus and you will get to Dar in about 5 - 6 hours meaning that you will get there by about 12:00 or 1:00pm. Then catch a taxi to the ferry port in the city center which will be another hour. The last ferry goes to Zanzibar at 4:00pm. If everything works like this you will make it, otherwise you will need to put up in the hotel in Dar overnight and take the early morning ferry (7:30am) over to Zanzibar. The timing for the bus will probably not work out to get you there before 4pm, but you should check on this at the bus stations before you set out.

You can put up in the Rombo Green View hotel very near to the Ubungo Bus Terminal for 30,000 Tsh (at 1,500 Th = $1).

As for flying Coastal Air flys into Tanga from Zanzibar, but I don't know if they fly out to Zanzibar or not. You can google them and look on their web site, they have a schedule of flights and cost of flights on their web site. At one time the cost to fly to Tanga from Zanzibar was $100k, if they don't fly directly there the cost would probably be more.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

Karl has provided a very usefull information.

The Current time table for the last ferry is at 15h45.

The best option is to take Coastal Aviation which leaves there at 16h00 and get in Zanzibar at 17h05 (via Pemba)

The current fare is US$ 115.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

Taking the Coastal flight would be the best alternative for you, and most probably the lest expensive, by the time you figure bus, taxi, ferry, and perhaps a room overnight if you miss the last ferry, which you probably will.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
101 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

Thank you for the advice - it is a huge help, especially since this will be my first visit to Africa - and Tanzania.

I think we are following your advice and taking the plane from Tanga!

I hope you will help me with some other questions:

How do I get to the airport in Tanga from the busstation, and how long time will it take?

Are there a place where we can leave our luggage safely in Tanga - if we have enough time to explore the city before going to the airport?

I'm sorry if there are grammatic and/or spelling mistakes, but english is only my second language, and it is not that often I have to write it.

Again - thank you!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

Your Engish is not a problem at all.

Your bus will go right past the airport just before you get to Tanga. If you are running close to the time you are getting the flight you could have the bus leave you off. If that is not the case then you will need to get a taxi, there are plenty in Tanga, to take you to the airport. The airport is perhaps 3km from Tanga.

As for leaving your luggage somewhere, you might try going to a hotel and asking them it they would hold it for you, and perhaps pay a little for this. There is a tourist kiosk on Harbor street (the main street going past the harbor) and perhaps they would keep it for you, but make certain they will be open when you return.

6. Re: Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 16:35
7. Re: Travel between Lusotho and Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:15