We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

DAY 1:

Arrive Arusha, drive to Onsea in good time for lunch, do the shopping after lunch, come back to the lodge for overnight. Accomodation at Onsea. FB.

DAY 2:

Have early breakfast, leave for Tarangire, arrive in good time for lunch, have an evening game drive, come back to the lodge for overnight. Accomodation at Tarangire Sopa Lodge. FB.

DAY 3:

Have early breakfast, then leave for Serengeti National park, with packed lunch, arrive in the park with game enroute to Mbuzi Mawe for overnight.HB.

DAY 4:

Have an early breakfast, then depart for a full day game drive with packed lunch, visiting to the migration point, then come back to the lodge. Accomodation at Mbuzi Mawe. FB.

DAY 5:

Have an early morning game drive, come for breakfast, then relax till in the aftrnoon, have an evening game drive, then come back to the lodge for overnight. Accomodation at Mbuzi Mawe. FB

DAY 6:

Have early breakfast, then depart with packed lunch for Ngorongoro National park, visit the crater, then late in the evening go to the lodge for overnight. Accomodation at Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge. HB.

DAY 7:

All day game drive Ngorongoro National park. Accomodation at Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge. HB.

DAY 8

Have an early breakfast, then depart for Arusha, take a flight to Zanzibar, arrive in good time for lunch, relax . Accomodation at Mchanga beach.FB.

DAY 9:

Have an excursion ( tour walk) in Zanzibar, that will be after breakfast, then come back to the Hotel for lunch, relax, have dinner and overnight. Accomodation at Mchanga Beach. FB.

Relax at leisure at Mchanga Beach. FB.

DAY 10:

Relax at leisure at Mchanga Beach. FB.

DAY 11

After breakfast depart to the airport, back home.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

No it is not a good itinerary Mbuzi Mawe is North of Serenora and I'd prefer other places.

Most of the main migration will normally be around the Ndutu area. Mbuzi Mawe is miles from this area. Then 2 nights Sopa Ngorongoro when you are not visiting Ndutu,you are driving past the main migration than back past it again to get to Sopa. The itinerary is no where near as good as it should be to maximise your time and the time of travel.

For a short safari like this I would go Tarangire 2 nights

Ngorongoro 1 night then Ndutu 3 nights.

There are better places to stay also than Tarangire Sopa IMO.

Edited: 12 April 2011, 02:18
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

Thank You your help is deeply appreciated!

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

For Zanzibar Sector:-

Mchanga Beach Lodge is a nice option which is in a quite area of North East Coast.

The Option of the Walking Guided Stonetown Tour on the second day is fantastic because is the main activity when you visit Zanzibar.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

Just wanted to reinforce what has been said. Mbuzi Mawe is too far North and West for where you want to be. Have them put you in Ndutu, best gameviewing area in February. Someone did this who didn't know what was going on in the Serengeti.

Also, the drive to the Serengeti will be very long is you go to Mbuzi Mawe. You will not be doing much game viewing, it's a long bumpy ride and it will take you all day. This itinerary will have you driving all the time.

I would do as Noexpert suggested, or fly out to the Serengeti and meet your safari operator there, then spend 2 - 3 days there in the Ndutu area, then go back to Ngorongoro and spend a day there, then perhaps one day at Tarangire.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

Besides the fact that Mbuzi Mawe is too far north for February, it'll also be a terribly long drive just to get there.

As others, you can easily drive from Tarangire to the Ndutu area of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA) or Southeast Serengeti where you'll meet up with the migration.

Then it's also obviously a shorter drive to Ngorongoro and back to Arusha for onward to ZNZ.

Good to see you're planning early as the Ndutu area can book up very quickly, so nows the time to assure space.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

Me too. As sandi, do it in this order.

by car- Tarangire, N'dutu, Ngorongoro, coast.

Plane either in or out (N'dutu strip can be dodgy in February) so fly Ndutu/Serenera strip. Meet car drive back Ndutu-Ngorongoro-Tarangire- base. Or in reverse which would let you end on a high from the Migration.

The only lodging I like on your trip is the Ngorongoro Sopa and the Ndutu Lodge if you stay there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

OK, Thank You All, I have trashed this Itenerary and am now working on another that is very similar to noexpert recommendation. I'm also talking to a different tour operator. The one who recommended above turns out is based in Mombasa and had never done a tour in Tanzania before. Good grief one must be careful setting these things up!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

One more question, I can do this trip at any time of year, but I'm trying to gat a balance between best animal viewing and crowded parks and lodges. From what I understand February is best animal viewing but worst crowds. So is late November a good time to balance the two, or am I over complicating things? I will only get to do this once in my life and I want to get it right!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

Anytime is a good time to be there, the animals don't go into hibernation, they are somewhere. February is the best month for gameviewing as that's when the wildebeests are having their calves and along with this that attracts a lot of predators. So you get more bang for you buck. In November it could be during the rains, so you might want to consider that, but they won't put you out much.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a good itenerary for Feb?

I agree. Even in the Green season rains of April there is much to see. Even if there was a shed or barn big enough to put all the animals in during 'bad' weather I doubt there is a farmer brave enough to try it.

October may have the edge over November.

And do remember that the Serengeti is vast. It is rarely if ever crowded to the extent of many vehicles. Ngorongoro at peak season being the exception.