We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

Hi everyone! My wife and I are wanting to go this coming February flying from the states to JRO and then from JRO down to Johannesburg. From there, we would fly back to the states.

The only issue is we only have about 2 weeks off from our jobs... is that doable? We would like to spend between 5-7 days on a safari in the Serengeti/Ndutu area and then another 5-7 days in South Africa going to Cape Town and other things. Any other ideas besides the beaches in Cape Town? We are in our late 20's and wanting to enjoy everything we can in a short period of time.

Any advice/tips/tricks you have, please let me know.

Thank you and take care!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

My first thought... seems like you are mixing two trips into one - and not doing either one justice.

Tanzania would be amazing for safari in February (Serengeti wildebeest calving time) - and Zanzibar is a lot closer (and to me, more exotic) than SA for a little beach time. Two weeks would allow a nice safari and Zanzibar experience.

I haven't researched South Africa, but it seems folks there do a nice safari circuit - Kruger, other parks, Victoria Falls - and then... what is it called? The Garden Circuit? or some such... again, a nice two week trip...

I'd pick one or the other and do it right. (and I'd pick Tanzania...)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

Usually it's not recommended to do both East and Southern Africa in the same trip, as flights between the two are limited, often with strange schedules, 4/hrs flying time, and rather expensive. But it's doable.

You'd have to check for International flights from your home country into Kilimanjaro/JRO for the Serengeti/Ndutu 5-7/days, and homebound from Capetown/CPT. Then check flights between Tanzania, where flights depart out of Nairobi/NBO, Kenya* or Dar-es-Salaam/DAR* (southern Tanzania), both of which usually fly into Johannesburg/JNB from where you'd have to fly to CPT.

*concluding Serengeti/Ndutu safari, your safari provider can arrange flight from this northern circuit Tanzania to either NBO or DAR for either of these connections to JNB.

Check a site as Kayak www.kayak.com, selecting "multi-city" to see what's available/doable, schedules... and, of course, costs.

Good luck!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

Doable but why try? Most folks would jump at 14 days in Tanzania alone.

As Others say, 10 days Safari and some beach and fly home. Leave ZA for another time.

Be advised you will need a valid Yellow Fever Certificate of Innoculation if visiting ZA from TZ. cost in USA around $120 up.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
399 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

I agree with others. I haven't been to South Africa but those we met in TZ said there were was much more wildlife and better in TZ. Go to Vic Falls afterwards if extra days as it is different and a must see. You can do a walking tour and see a rhino close up

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

As mentioned in my PM to you, this is doable and since the migration (what you told me in your PM) is the important thing you will be able to take in Tarangire for a day, Ngorongoro Crater for a day, spend the rest of the time (7 days) in the Serengeti in the Ndutu and Central Serengeti area and you'll see more animals then you thought possible. Then fly from the Serengeti to Dar es Salaam and catch the S. African Air flight to J'Burg where you can do your thing in S. Africa. It will not be a laid back trip and you will be en route for much of the time.

Warning, after what you will see in Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti, S. Africa will most probably be anticlimactic. It's a tough act to follow.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

We are planning a trip to Tanzania in 2012. We took a 3 week trip to South Africa last year. We did 7 nights of safari, 6 nights in Cape Town and 3 nights in the Wine Country. I would say spend your time in Tanzania.

I can tell you that the South African wine country does not compare to Napa, France or Italy. We were a bit disappointed in in Cape Town. It reminded us of San Diego but without the safety, conveniences, etc.

My advice is to focus on the safari. That is what we are doing from now on. Someone who has spent their entire lives traveling all over the world once told me: "There are 2 things you do in Africa; see the pyramids and do safaris". We are planning our 4th trip to Africa and, so far, I think this is good advice.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

Will not go into the possiblity of the details of such a trip other than saying what was said to me by Karl, Nfuwe and other. If you want to be be in the Ndutu area in the best place, at the best time, with the best possiblities you need to lock in the accommodations now. A month ago some of the accommodations where already full for days in Feb. 2012. Oh to be in my late 20's and wanting to enjoy everthing in two weeks. No.......I'm in my late 60's and found that when you go just a little slower, you find that your 20's were but a whiff. Sit down,enjoy the meal, good company and watch the sun go down. This is the last Great Mirgation of large animals in the world and it may not be there when your in your 60's.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

<<"There are 2 things you do in Africa; see the pyramids and do safaris". >>

Hmm! Am I only halfway through then after 20 years to Africa? Not seen a single pyramid or Sphynx yet! Doubt I will! Seen a camel though. Does this count?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

I’d recommend maybe having a look at Zanzibar instead of South Africa for your second week, and see if it sounds appealing to you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 2 weeks in Africa, is this doable?!?!

Mfuwe,

Twenty years doing safaris in Africa? I would say that you have been making the right decisions!