We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The mystery of the airport codes

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The mystery of the airport codes

My head has recovered from last night's question, thanks to all who set my mind at ease regarding flying from there to ZNZ I won't be wandering the Serengeti, aimlessly, dragging my roll-a-board behind me.

My confusion this evening is about Kilimanjaro Airport. Some sites refer to it as JRO and others as KIA. Are they one and the same airport? Or two different airports, one serving the international flights KIA and the other the domestic flights - JRO? If so, what is there physical relationship to each other.

Thanks,

Plum who is wrapping her sorry head around all this.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

KIA - Kilimanjaro International Airport... from the old days before anyone discovered Tanzania and jumbo jets landed here. (guess only).

JRO - Kilimanjaro International Airport... the one you use when looking for international flights.

... one and the same.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

It's worth adding to this thread:

ARK: Arusha - Domestic airport very close to Arusha and is often used inter-changeably for JRO on domestic flights.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

Abbreviations:-

JRO- is AITA Destination code which stand for Kilimanjaro (AITA - International Air Transport Association)

KIA- is a code of Kilimanjaro International Airport

JRO is just a name of Kilimanjaro and not the name of Airport while KIA is the cone name of Airport.

KIA is similar to Zanzibar which abbreviated as ZNZ or Dar es Salaam as DAR or AMS as Amsterdam,FRA as Frankfurt etc

So,is only one Airport

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

Sorry, Wrong way around Zanziland.

JRO is the AITA code used by all airlines in the same way as DAR, ZNZ or even NBO and LHR.

KIA, obviously shorthand for Kilimanjaro International Airport in the same way as JKIA is sometimes used for NBO (Jomo Kenyatta Int. airport)

Don't whatever you do book a flight to KIA and you will end up somewhere you don't want to be! <<Kaiapit (KIA) Papua New Guinea>> for example.

Brian correctly states ARK for Arusha (the town "Safari" strip) although again some folks persistently use "Kilimanjaro" for it. This also causes unnecessary confusion.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 09:10
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

Now your head should be swimming even more.

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

Oh well, even though I knew my flight reservations were 100% correct, after reading this post, I just had to take a peek at them again.

Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

mfuwe is right.

KIA is a locally used abbreviation for Kilimanjaro International Airport; some local tour operators may refer to 'KIA' on their websites or in emails.

JRO is the official airport code, which you may see on tickets, baggage tags, departure boards, flight booking sites, etc.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

... and always, before agent places your luggage on the belt to the plane... check the baggage tags to be certain they contain proper airport codes and flight #s, regardless where you travel.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

So when flying on the small planes back from the Serengeti, do the planes arrive in Arusha (ARK)? That is my impression since I would like to do a little last minute shopping before heading to the airport.,

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The mystery of the airport codes

If you wish to do shopping in Arusha and/or have a dayroom till later transfer to JRO, arrange this with your tour operator. The flight will be SER/ARK, where driver/vehicle will meet you for balance of day.