We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

Idiot She asked me to get your input on this. She wears her hair pretty short - easy for travel. But she does like to use some kind of mousse or gel to spike it up a little and give it some character.

Overall, we prefer products with no scent. I find myself more and more sensitive to the layers of scent producers seem determined to add to every candle, soap, anti-static dryer sheet, deodorant, foot cream... well, you get the picture.

In our northern climate, many of the perfumey-scents draw bugs. The black flies, bees, and other insects seem to be attracted to scents. Mosquitoes are still under debate.

So - the question. It seems like all the hair products she has found so far have pretty strong scents. I suspect a lot of coconut oil is involved, along with whatever else they toss in. Idiot She is wondering if she should get a "perm" to avoid using these hair products on safari and in our wanderings.

I'm pretty much looking for some female responses here - my idea of the ideal scent is "pepperoni" - and I'll tell you right now, I don't like her perms much...

so... will her coconut-scented hair be a bug magnet?

Bencia Africa
Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wakawaka Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours, Eco Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wild Root Safaris and Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Hiking & Camping Tours
Aardvark Safaris
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

Well Bird Eating spiders live in coconut palms. Tsetse love Deet. Could prove a welcome change of diet for some.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

Female input - from a female with short hair....maybe this is fertile ground for a compromise ....maybe you could convince IS that you really really don't mind flatter hair - thus avoiding need for smellies and the perm...imho even with a perm, oftentimes one does still need primping stuff... alternatively keep on looking for .... I use aveda products, they don't smell too much. (control paste, defining whip).. The chances are that hair will be permanently wilted with the combo of heat and hat and that these kind of styling products will just set the hair into wilted hat shape( (This is what happens to me in the heat or when the car top is down!) Of course, there is always the delightfully antediluvian hairspray - some of which smell more chemical than coconut. I'm going to forego my usual stuff and just brave my hair being as it is when I go on safari - might just run a bit of control paste thru. The beach is a little different and I might even use a hairdryer ....

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

Another female perspective here . . . she's on safari and not the fashion runway. I would forego any of the scented hair products for many reasons, including the potential for attracting bugs.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

I ran this past MfuweShe over lunch and got an odd look. No change there but I did get the information that it is so dusty that a good shower/shampoo each evening is as much as is needed. If no hat it gets a certain "windswept" wild woman look and a quick comb through is enough to restore order.

I have no idea if this helps.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

I'm a girl! I'm a girl!

I hate the smell of coconut in anything!

If her hair is short, even if using "smelly" shampoo, a good rinse will get rid of much of the scent. I prefer unscented wherever possible, from deodorant to body lotion, but my shampoo might be considered "smelly."

But, doesn't attract any more or less bugs... in fact, simply doesn't; nor am I all that dusty at the end of a day. I sometimes wonder what others are doing while out there that this becomes a problem. Hey, besides the flying things, even dust seems to stay clear of me. Smart of it/them! :)

It happens that I find my hair holds up (to touch and even cleanliness) better when in Africa than back in the big city, where I can actually go longer than alternate days shampooing, to four or five days. While I don't... I could.

My hair is short with a light perm and it seems to work with no issues.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

There is a saying in Britain.

"There are no flies on him" to which the answer is usually "No, but you can see where they have been!"

Waiting for the Mzee's perceived wisdom on this.

san francisco
Level Contributor
730 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

Glad to see more and more people are getting away from scented products.

I'm still trying to figure out Mfuwe's British saying. Separated by a common language, we are.

Bill

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

I know "there are no flies on him" means the person is busy, industrious, clever - so bright, so active that flies don't settle on him. Apparently the compliment is then reversed by suggesting the person looks as though flies have left fly specks - i,e, excrement... on the person.

I'll pass that along to "She Who Must Be Obeyed" - not sure it is the kind of feedback she was hoping for, but there is nothing like insect feces to spice up a conversation...

Edited: 26 April 2011, 01:57
Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

The last time I advanced an opinon on my wife's hair or hair products, it took years to recover. I thought she really wanted my opinon. I'll will take the bugs.

Edited: 26 April 2011, 02:05
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smelly stuff, hair products, and so on...

I just asked her if my convertible SPF 50, insect repellent impregnated safari pants make my butt look fat. She answered honestly. Apparently tact is a one-way street...