We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 posts
Save Topic
Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

hi

We'd like to rent a 4x4 car to explore the wildlife in Tanzania, but problem is most car-hire companies require a renter to pay full cost of the damages to the rented car. But this is not an option, since we're on a pretty low budget and there's always a chance that a car may get damaged

Can you suggest car-hire companies that don't require from renter to fully repay the damages to the rented vehicle?

Thank you

Mumbai
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

Are you sure you want to self drive...unless you are highly experienced with the parks I would suggest not to go for this option. I have put a no of tips on my blogpost including on driving and renting . I hope it helps.

…blogspot.com/2011/04/bush-camp-in-tanzania-…

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

If the renter doesn't pay for the damage, who does?

Normally it's the insurance company, but presumably no sensible insurance company will take the risk.

If its low-budget you want, why go for a high-budget option? Why not take a bus?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

thank you for your replies

I know the following won't make much sense, but still...

Whether this trip to Tanzania will happen this year is still debatable. Only way I'm willing to spend that amount of money is if it happens the way I always dreamed it would be. When traveling, I don't enjoy the company of other tourists, and that's why I always traveled as a backpacker ( not that I travel much ) and never with a traveling agency. Same thing with Tanzania.My sense of adventure is driving by myself and self exploring the wildlife ( and I don't have enough money to visit Africa on a regular basis, so if if it happens only once in five years, then... ).

I'm well aware chances to see wildlife are much greater with a guide, but I'm hopeful that with a little luck we ( me and my gf ) will get to see most of the big game on a daily basis?

"Why not take a bus?"

How could I explore the wildlife with a bus? Unless you're suggesting I take a short walk into lion's den ;) ?

"Are you sure you want to self drive...unless you are highly experienced with the parks I would suggest not to go for this option."

I'm probably making an a*s*s of myself with the following comment, but ... I know how to change a flat tire, and in the event car breaks down, most of rented 4x4s have a radio station for an emergency cases ( I assume being stranded in the middle of savanna constitute as an emergency).

...or am I being way too optimistic?

Edited: 27 April 2011, 20:29
nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

You're being too optimistic! So you can change a tire, but do you know a safe place to do and not worry about "the lions out there? or the ellees?

You not only have to know where you're going and there are no road signs, you have to keep a very sharp eye on the road (where the tarmac ends, it's only dirt/gravel and often cotton soil which you don't want to get stuck in) and be able to spot game at the same time. You have to know where you can stop and where you can't. Know where the petrol stations are, having local currency to pay. And, when out on your own... knowing the language would help. Not everyone speaks English.

You don't mention budget, nor month of travel... but many have little to spend and find a basic camping safari, having own guide/vehicle and cook, staying on public campsite... works out well and within even back-packer budgets or lack of.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

"You don't mention budget, nor month of travel."

* Time of travel would be July or August

* Budget is 5000 Euros - plain tickets ≈ 2500 euros

"the lions out there?"

I'll have my gf change the tire so I will be quite safe inside a car

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

Newbie, I'm not an expert - just planning my own first TZ safari. But I have read enough on this forum to know that for 2500 euros (that's what's left after plane tickets, correct?) you and gf should be able to arrange a private budge camping safari. Yes, there would be a driver/guide to take you to the parks and also a cook, but you might enjoy yourself more if you aren't worrying about doing everything yourself.

There are many good and reliable companies named on this forum who can give you a quote. And please don't make your gf change that tire.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
1,020 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

Not only are you too optimitic, you're unrealistic, naive and crazy. Sorry, but get a guide for your safety and enjoyment. Our vehicle broke down on several occasions and yes there were lions nearby! Our guide was competent to handle everything from a flat tire to a broken starter. There's a reason the rental car companies make you prepay, probably worried you might not return.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

sandi....perhaps you could repost that link you had a couple weeks ago on why NOT to self-drive? it was both funny and eye-opening.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

It doesn't really matter whether your "dream" of an African Safari which has you driving across the savannah in your 4X4 or not; it's not your vehcile thus the owner will expect you to pay for any damages, and they can happen easily when on a safari.

While you can change a tire, can you repair a broken ball joint or a broken spring without the repair parts? Both of these repairs are probable due to the condition of the roads. I wouldn't worry so much about the lions being around, I would worry about that elephant being angry at you because you couldn't see the warning signs and he begins to charge your automobile, would you know what to do? I doubt it. Do you think your vehicle would offer you protection? Who would pay for these damages to the vehicle, I doubt that you would expect to do that but you may have a difficult time getting out of the country without paying for the repair bill.

There are a myriad of things which will and could go wrong, some not disastrous and some very disastrous. It's not a movie.

Don't do it. If you cannot afford to come and do a budget camping safari then I would advise you to not come until you can afford a usual safari.

Forget the dream, it about as realistic as while out on your safari meeting up with the lastest movie star and having her get into your car for the remainder of your safari.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 00:18
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any car-hire companies in Tanzania that don't...?

Whaaat? Johnny Depp is not going to be out there just waiting for me?