We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

From the U.S., Delta flies to AMS, and from there partner KLM flies to JRO. I have some Delta frequent flyer points that I would like to use for one or two Business Class tickets. Not that hard to do between the U.S. and AMS since there are many flights. Problem may be that there is only one flight daily between AMS and JRO.

Has anyone successfully used FF points for a Business Class seat on the AMS to JRO leg?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

You won't know till you try.

Don't recall when you plan to travel, but best time to try to get the seats you wish, is as soon as schedules are available, namely 330/1 days prior date of departure. Doesn't mean all FF seats are sold out immediately, and even if past that time, no harm contacting them... you might get lucky.

palm coast, fl
Level Contributor
479 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

I have been calling daily trying to use FF miles. I have been told (not sure that this is correct as each representative gives me different info) is that the KLM flights have already sold out their cheaper seats for the dates I am flying and because of that they will not release ANY FF seats. I am flying out on Feb 19 with a return of Mar 4. I decided to go ahead and pay as the flights for my route with shorter layover delays are limited.

Good luck and be sure to share what you finally do/find out. I think those FF seats on KLM are either gone instantly or non-existent. You may also have better luck calling KLM directly...

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

Started tracking Delta and KLM flights 30 days before I reached the 330/1 perior to departure date. As stated did not have problem getting FF on Delta flights to AMS but Ams to JRO was not working. Finally decided to use FF for other trip. Was surprised to see there was a difference in ticket price between Delta and KLM for same flight/date. Went with KLM and save about $300 dollars per ticket. Just checked prices and see that prices are up about $250 per ticket from Feb purchase. Nice thing about KLM is that you can purchase an option on a ticket which locks in the price and you have 14 days to make a final decision.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

Thanks for describing your experiences. Terrilang and Crapshooter, I will contact KLM directly to see if I can do any better. Crapshooter, in your case where you live in Wisconsin, was KLM able to book your entire trip? Or did you start your reservation with them from NY or elsewhere on the East coast?

I am planning to travel the last two weeks of March and have been checking daily for awhile. One Delta rep said that the KLM seats may not be released yet, so they just keep you guessing. I was hoping that, since the latter part of March is not busy, we might get lucky.

I will definitely let you know what happens. Thanks.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

I called 330 days before and got coach seats for 80,000 ff miles from Minneapolis to JRO in October/November. Didn't try for the business class... don't have that kind of miles... The lady on the phone was nice... the call center is up in Northern Minnesota on the Iron Range, so we chatted about the blizzard we were experiencing while she went through literally dozens of combineation until we got dates we were comfortable with...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

and I think the KLM site says they only release the dates 180 days in advance - but the lady helping me said "well... just wait a minute... I'll try it this way... " and then she had access to the seats and booked them.

I think it cost an extra $20 to use the nice lady instead of booking strictly online... well worth the cost.

palm coast, fl
Level Contributor
479 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

I just called to check my itinerary with KLM and their pricing was 700+ per ticket more... and I reserved the flights yesterday with Delta. Go figure...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

Did you contact KLM 330 days before your departure date or the date you are coming home?

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

Live only 30 minutes from MSP airport, so it is serviced by Delta and KLM. Sometimes it is a little confusing because the flight from MSP to AMS may have a KLM code but flown by Delta or just the reverse because they are sharing partners. I booked entire flight with KLM.

<LynnDB > depending on your schdule, I waited until I could get the return flight past the 330 days otherwise it would not accept the reservation.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Frequent Flyer Points for the AMS-JRO Leg

Okay, this is what I know so far. Trying to use FF points on the AMS to JRO leg is probably going to take more patience than I have. So the other option is to fly into Nairobi and skip over from there. For NBO, I have been told that, if I purchase an upgradeable coach class ticket (read expensive!), then I can use points to get into Business Class. I am considering this option.

Question is - What regional airlines fly between NBO and JRO? I need a comfort level that I can easily get from one place to the other before I book the tickets. Thanks-