We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

New York
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

First, let me say $$ is an issue, however I do want to get the best bang for my buck. I have quotes for the following tours:

Kenya-

2 people - 2 nights & 3 days at Masai Mara at Sarova Mara Game Camp: $1,500

2 people – Add 1 night & 1 day at Nukuru at Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge: $600 for a total of $2,100

Tanzania-

2 people – 1 night & 2 days at either Manyara & Ngorongoro OR Tarangire & Ngorongoro staying at the Wildlife Lodge: $1,100

2 people – 1 night & 2 days at either Manyara & Ngorongoro OR Tarangire & Ngorongoro staying at the Twiga Lodge: $850

Thoughts?

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
African Scenic Safaris
Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Climbing Tours
New York
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

Anyone?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

We haven't stayed at the spots mentioned, but I just wrote a short review of our trip with Nomad. I do hope you get some helpful responses. You could break down the total for each plan to get a daily rate and then read as many reviews as possible. At least two nights in a location allows for a more pleasant experience. I'd also suggest to you that since you are already paying the $$$ to get from New York, unless you expect this to be one of many safaris in eastern Africa, you might stretch the budget a tad if it's workable.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

When I'm at Ngorongoro I stay at the Wildlife.lodge because it has the most wonderful view of the crater IMO. You will also be guaranteed to see animals at every turn of your head in the crater. As to Manyara ot Taringire you don't say when you will be there, Tarangire will be much better in the dry season when there is a mini-migration there so it's full of animals

Where would I go, to Tanzania on probably the 1st one listed.

New York
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

Thanks. Safari will take place between August 2-11. I was leaning towards Masai Mara only because of the migration which should be in full swing during this time??

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

In Kenya, I'd include Mara and Lake Nakuru, but if you can't pull-off the Nakuru stop, absolutely the Mara.

In Tanzania, Tarangire and Ngorongoro @ Wildlife

Also remember, you will have at least a full-day for transfer between Kenya/Tanzania.

You'll need Visas for both countries, as well Yellow Fever inoculation for entry to/from/between these countries.

Do agree, if traveling as far from US, if you could possibily add a day or two, regardless which country... always better as distances to/from parks and between countries can be long on not the best roads and tiring.

Good luck!

New York
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

Thanks. We'll only be able to do either Kenya or Tanzania, but not both.

Recommend the 3 day 2 night Mara over the 3 day 2 night Tarangire and Ngorongoro?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

I would definitely recommend doing the Tarangire and Ngorongoro, especially in August when Tarangire is at it's peak and loaded with very large herds of elephants, zebra, antelope, buffalo, etc. along with their predators.

8. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 12:13
New York
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari options: Kenya or Tanzania

Ideo

Im sure lots of people want to answer but cant. Each day is so golden, how can you narrow it down to 2 or 3 days?

Me?

If I had to pick from those options for you, it would be 3 days Masai Mara knowing full well if you enjoyed it you would do Tanzania next with more days