We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dairy Products/Cheese

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Dairy Products/Cheese

Experts (and any others who wish to chime in). My wife and I went and got our jabs yesterday for our September trip. My pocketbook is lighter but other than that, no ill effects. Contrary to what our plans were several months ago, we went ahead with the yellow fever stick so we wouldn't run the potential of having to do this at the JRO airport.

Our nurse at the travel clinic told us to avoid all dairly products including cheese. Understanding she deals with numerous travel destinations and may distrbute generiIc information for all of the "questionable" destinations, thought I would get input from the Tanzania experts.

We are definitely going to avoid uncooked fruits and vegetables, but frankly had assumed that cheeses would probably be OK (but would probably stay away from milk). Does anyone have any thoughts/input as to how dangerous cheeses and/or milk may be? A search on the topic yielded minimal and contradictory results.

Thanks as always. You have guys have been a great asset.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

I eat cheese and drink milk... no problems.

I eat fruit and veggies... no problems.

I couldn't think to not being able to enjoy the veggies that taste as they should rather than with air pumped thru them to in ordeer to make the trip cross-country in the States. Love the tomatoes, especially... but also cucumbers, lettuces, oranges, lemons, canteloup, mango, watermelon; pineaple, kiwi, etc. Also, some outstanding cheeses, especially in Kenya, but also in Tanzania.

Would certainly avoid an open buffet where food has been out for hours with others picking over them (don't do even at home), but if fresh, kept cold and just put out... sure.

Others may have their own experiences, but I'm still here to tell the tale!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

Hi

Im a cheese lover and never had a problem.

We buy our cheese from Dutch assisted Massai factory not as good as in Holland but getting better all the time -)

www.engiteng.com/factories.html

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

I always thought eating cheese there is fine. I don't remember the Peace Corps telling us not to eat cheese and they were the most conservative and careful with this topic.

This is my first time hearing that someone should not eat cheese there. I've told you everything I know.

Houston
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

We are going with kids who are big milk drinkers. I'd chance it for myself but is it okay for them?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

To be honest, I've never seen cheese or milk whilst in Tanzania, and I've not missed it.

Given the climate, I would be wary of any food that requires refrigeration (except beer).

It's not so much the premises you will stay at, its the food chain. Will remote places receive supplies with short shelf-lives that are adequately stored?

Having said that, I had one of the most delicious lunches of my life in a Selous camp - lobster, with copious salads. Risky, yes, but the managers, who had several years experience of providing hospitality in Tanzania, were all tucking in, too!

They assured me the food had been flown in from Dar that morning.

However, if it had been in an anonymous hotel's buffet, I would probably ordered the cheese omelette.... :-)

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

The milk there is different and refrigeration can be an issue.

When we traveled with our (then a baby) son, we brought the milk in cartons that doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened. I can't be more specific, but we bought a case from our local food coop (individual serving sizes) and that worked well for us.

On a more recent trip (kids not really babies anymore) we didn't bring any milk and could still trust the milk out of the cartons (purchased and/or offered to us in Tanzania) but it did need to be refrigerated I believe. We also let them drink more soda than usual (oh yes!). And don't forget water of course. The lodges will have this milk in the carton and it should be just fine. They will also have an excellent selection of fresh fruit juice in most cases.

Here's a cultural thing that really isn't applicable in tourist locations, but just so you know, sniffing food that has been offered to you is considered offensive to most Tanzanians. It implies a dstrust of their cooking, or something like that.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 18:19
Bristol
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

I must admit weren't offered much cheese when we were out there so it wasn't really a problem. As for milk, I only drink it in coffee and I would say it was definitely different to the fresh milk we get in the UK. Most of the time I didn't bother with it as I wasn't too keen on the taste not because it caused any problems.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

Also Brian mentioned fruit juices. Are these ok to drink (as one is often told to avoid fruit unless you can peel it yourself)?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_p…

Probably UHT milk.

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dairy Products/Cheese

One of my favorite food items to sample while in another country is their cheese. Haven't given African cheese any thought with my upcoming trip to Tanzania until this post. I'll be spending 3 nights in Moshi prior to departing for my Mt. Kilimanjaro trek so this gives me time to sample the local food and beer. I have an appt. with my Travel Clinic Friday so it will be interesting to see if they give out any food warnings. I'm going to mostly rely on my local Moshi contact for food advice once I'm there...don't need advice for beer.