We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waiting list

belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
waiting list

hi, I'm trying to get my trip to Tanzania for this June 2006 booked. However, the operator I was first considering of working with, has told me that for some of the most important parts of our trip, rooms can not be confirmed yet, and we would have to stay on a waiting list. And we would have to pay our deposit before even getting final confirmation. Which are the operators that work with block reservations, in other words, are able to quickly confirm your rooms ? Is this the normal way of working ?

Montreal
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: waiting list

I am also going in June 2006 and the operator is booking the accommodations for us. I am only paying after everything is confirmed/reserved. We had to make some last minute change because some of the lodges are full.

belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: waiting list

when did you ask him to start booking ? which lodges did you first want, but didn't get because they were full ? did you ask your operator to find you a lodge that would surely stil have room ? who are you going with ? i am really worried about not finding a lodge anymore on the ngorongoro crater rim

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waiting list

We reserved/confirmed our lodges for June 2006 at the end of January -around the 26th -and we did not have any issues - although it took about a week to confirm all of them. You might want to either check with a different operator and/or for different lodges/camp sites. My friends are also going a week after we are, and one of the tour companies was unable to find availability at the lodges they wanted, but another one was. I don't know about waitlists. One of the Tanzania experts would have to let you know if that is a wise option or not. I would certainly not be too comfortable with it!

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
62 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: waiting list

I just recently finished booking a Jun 2006 trip to Tanzania w/2Afrika and they tell us we'll be in one of 3 possible lodges at each location. So I guess that means we are not technically "confirmed" at a specific one at each location, but they guarantee it will one of 3 possiblities. No mention was made of a waiting list either. So I would be a little suspicious, unless you just really trust the operator and theri track record.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: waiting list

Hi

It is really veery difficult to lodge bookings at such a late date :-( you could try Ranger Safari's or Leopard safaris the two biggest companys here in Arusha -they are sure to have block bookings.

belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: waiting list

Hi everybody, great news ! I managed to get all the lodges-except one- confirmed, so except one, no more waiting lists. So anybody, despairing because they still need to make their bookings, just put your foot firm, and ask your touroperator to still try to get either a confirmation or an alternative lodge. At the end, both operators I was considering managed to get available rooms at the lodges, though I either had to adapt my itinary or to suggest another alternative lodge to them. Today I made my final decision: The operator I will be going with managed to get me the Sopa lodge at Ngorongoro (good service apparently and still very good location), the Wildlife lodge (really worth the location, nothing like being central in June) in Serengeti and the Tarangire Safari Lodge (again great location, plus swimming pool !) in Tarangire. Even though many people have been warning me all rooms are booking out !!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: waiting list

I am glad to hear you were able to confirm your lodges! When will you be in Tanzania? we will be on our safari between June 18th and June 27th - then off to Zanzibar!Perhaps we will run into you at the Seregenti Wildlife.. You never know! :) Have a great time! !

belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: waiting list

hi ceylo, this is our itinary. Only the 3rd night has not been confirmed yet, but this is less important because I wouldn't mind a night longer in ngorongoro or staying a night at the Ndutu lodge... this because I have enough of days at central and west/north serengeti... oh, I'm sooooooo excited... i just can't wait... so, will we be bumping into you ? ;-)

13th June 2006

Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge - Confirmed

14th June 2006

Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge - Confirmed

15th June

Serengeti Sopa Lodge Waitlisted

16th June

Seronera Wildlife Lodge. - Confirmed

17th June

Seronera Wildlife Lodge Confirmed

18th June

Ikoma Bush Camp - Confirmed

19th June

Ikoma Bush Camp - Confirmed

20th June

Kisima Ngeda Lodge. (to be confirmed)

21st June

search for a Hadzabe camp Afternoon drive to Tarangire National Park. Tarangire Safari Lodge - Confirmed

22nd June

Tarangire Safari Lodge - Confirmed

23rd June

drive back to Arusha.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: waiting list

Hi janischa, your itenary looks great. But I don't think we will bump into each other. It looks like you hit the Serengeti a few days before we do! We start on June 18th in Arusha and go reverse, so we do Tarangire first and the Lake Manyara, then the Serengeti. We will be searching for the Hadzabe on June 22nd...

We will be staying at the Seronera that night and then at Ikoma the next 2 nights...

We will just have to swap stories at the end!!