We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs in Tanzania?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
ATMs in Tanzania?

We're leaving for Tanzania next Monday and are really getting excited...

Now the usual money questions comes up. I've already looked at the FAQ on the right side of the page, but have the feeling that our situation is a bit different.

We'll have a bit more than a month time in Tanzania, doing a safari at the beginning and stay in Zanzibar at the end. Between that we plan to travel around with busses.

So how about money? We don't feel comfortable carrying around huge amounts of dollars... Are ATMs available (and reliable) to get money from?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

ATM's are available in most cities and are reliable.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

I'd still try to pay for the safari and Zanzibar in advance so you aren't carrying huge amounts of dollars.

Isn't it true that TAnzanian ATMs only dispense Tanzanian Shillings? If I'm right on that assumption, then you will lose again when you convert to Dollars if you need them.

Lots to think about.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

ATMs dispense only T Shillings. And they are limited to about 300,000 TSh a day I believe.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

I should have mentioned also; Most banks have an ATM now, but only in the cities. There are sometimes very long lines at these ATMs, and they run out of money often, especially on week-ends.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

We'll definitely pay the safari in advance and Zanzibar, too.

The problem is more the time where we don't have pre-booked arrangements. We'll probably take a small amount in dollars (as a fallback if we don't manage to come to an ATM) and for the rest try with the ATMs...

We'll travel by bus and try to go off the beaten track so 300,00 TSh should last for quite some time...

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

Yes, 300,000 should last a long time, but carry a little extra hidden away somewhere in case you need it.

Have fun! I'm quite jealous.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

Some ATM's will dispense more than 300,000/- Barclays for example. It depends on your own bank and their daily limits. Before you go to Africa, go to your bank or ring your credit card owner and tell them you are heading off to Africa and dont worry about the withdrawels from isolated exotic locations-It will only be you.

8. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 08:35
9. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2011, 04:05
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ATMs in Tanzania?

The Barclays Bank in all Branches is allow to Draw up to 1M (One Million) into three bunches of Tsh:400,000,then Tsh:400,000 and finish with Ths:200,000 per day.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays