We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upcoming tanzania safari

SCOTLAND UK
14 posts
Save Topic
upcoming tanzania safari

Packing for a 10 day Safari to Tanzania - limited packing allowance due to internal flights - squashy bags 15 kg max - got safari clothes for during the day but wondered what the norm was for the evening dress - smart casual ? - staying in olakira, dunia, olivers, sayari - would welcome your comments. Also has anyone had problems wtith missing luggage. We've been advised to check our luggage straight through from LHR via nairobi to Kilimanjaro Airport to save time . Worried it will go missing . Would value your comments.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upcoming tanzania safari

We spent 5 nights with Nomad Serengeti tents at Moru Kopjes, another 2 at Plantation Lodge, and after the day's game drives, showered and dressed very casually.There will likely be very helpful responses from experts, but my suggestion would be to relax, pack what works for you, and don't bother with any clothing that may only be worn once or twice. Lucky you - we could be back in a heartbeat.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upcoming tanzania safari

#1 is correct.

Missing bags - they are more likely to be delayed than lost. Always pack some essential clothes in hand luggage, just in case. And don't have 'exclusive' his/hers bags. Mix up the clothing so that if one bag goes AWOL, one of you has not lost everything. Unlikely though.

No-one expects to dress up on safari. Shower before dinner, wear clean clothes; wear them again the next day. Get your smelly stuff washed while you are on game drives, although you should hand wash 'smalls', as these aren't usually laundered by the camps.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upcoming tanzania safari

I agree. There is no floor show in the lodges. (I would be barred from dining if there were.) As long as you are clean, you are OK.

And use Peter's tip of splitting luggage so you both have something if one case is delayed.

I invariably check luggage right through and so far....so good.

If hiking, etc., I wear my boots as these would be hard to lose. I have minimal Hand luggage, Camera, Bins , tickets, passport etc., and a book to read. The rest gets packed. I cannot be bothered with fighting for locker space with someone's kitchen sink.

Enjoy your trip. Why are your routing that way? Why not via AMS straight to JRO? Two less stops and changes is worth a few baubies more. Just askin!

4. Re: upcoming tanzania safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 13:18