We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar currency

england
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Zanzibar currency

Can anyone enlighten me as to which is the best currency to take to Zanzibar this year pls? Is it easy to get cash out and are the usual credit cards accepted (which I'm guessing prob not). We're in Kenya week before and have same dilemma - don't really want to be carrying wads of different currencies all over the place.

Cheers

Michelle

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zanzibar currency

Is very easy to get Cash in either Kenya or Zanzibar.

Lots of ATM machines by local currency withdraws.Also many Bureau De changes for currencies exchanges.

Credit Cards payment are mainly accepted in Huge Shops and in many Hotels/Resorts.

Excursions/Tour,Accommodation,transfers,souvenirs vendors are charging in USD.

Most of Restaurants are using Local Currencies,but are also accepting USD in the ration of 1 -1 which will make you to be a loser.Few of them can do a favor by taking a right selling price from USD to Local Currency.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

england
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zanzibar currency

Thanks for that info - what is the actual currency in Zanzibar and is it best to get Zanz currency from England or change sterling over there?

Thx

Michelle

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zanzibar currency

Zanzibar is a part of United Republic of Tanzania and they all use the same currency Tanzania Shillings(Tsh)

I recommend to refer to the Bank of Tanzania as a guide like.

www.bot-tz.org go to the Financial Market Bar or you can see it on front page at you right hand side

This will guide you to get an updated conversion rate.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Edited: 01 July 2011, 11:11
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zanzibar currency

You typically cannot get the local T Shillings outside the country. Make certain that before you leave you exchange you T Shillings back into whatever currency you wish.

I would suggest that you not use you credit cards there, you are open to identity theft if you do. You will most probably be safe using them at an ATM to withdraw cash, but using them at a hotel or other places opens you up (and there are postings on here to that by those who were ripped off).

I would also notify your local credit / debit card before you leave that you will be withdrawing cash from Tanzania so that you don't get a lot of alerts.

The exchange rate is above 1,500 T Shl = $1 and is pushing 1,600 now. So you can see if a local establishment allows you to use dollars and they accept them at par value ($1 = 1,000 Tsh) then you will be giving them a very large mark-up in value. Don't use foreign currency there, use local currency, it will get very expensive if you don't. Some will go there and only use US dollars, but I don't think they realize what they are doing, or perhaps don't care.

england
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zanzibar currency

thank you

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zanzibar currency

We will be in Zanzibar in Nov. I have read elsewhere that tourist hotels in Zanzibar only accept USD in payment, so we've been assuming we need to bring cash (if we don't want to risk credit cards). Is this true?

7. Re: Zanzibar currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 12:16