We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Overall Rating : Excellent

Operator: Good Earth Tours

Guide: Ben

Where: Tarangire/Lake Manyara/Central Serengeti/W Serengeti/Ng Crater

When June 2011

Vehicle: 4x4 w/pop up roof

Type: Private Safari

Our guide Ben really made our trip. We found his professionalism, 15 yrs experience, knowledge, attention to detail, character and guiding skills to be well above expectations. Our 1st day in Tarangire we found ourselves in the middle of a lion pride hunting. Paying little attention to us, a dozen lions stalked their prey as we watched. Some of the time we were in the middle as they decoyed Zebras with their cubs and teens as the lionesses circled from the rear. We might have seen an attempt on the prey, but the big mouthed male roared and frightened the Zebras away. Other than that, we enjoyed, a whole host of great sightings in Tarangire. We overnighted at the Tarangire Safari Lodge, where we cont'd to have great sightings from the camp.

Lake Manyara- Im glad we added LM to our safari. The rainforest background was a welcome compliment to the previous days dry Tarangire. It was stunning to watch a herd of elephants trample entire sections of trees as they made their way through the forest. We had fewer sightings than in Tarangire, but what sightings we had were up close quality ones. Highlight was 30 or so Ostriches running in synchronicity. Overnight Kirirumu Tented Camp

Serengeti- 6 days:

Wow! Incredible sightings. Where do I begin?

100s of elephants, some we were literally face to face with from our pop up

100's of giraffes- again, face to face in some cases

Wildebeest migration- troops of these animals rushing Northwards is a scene that has to be witnessed

Lions, so many lions.

Leopards- We saw 11 different leopards. We have video of what we are told is rare. One walking out in the open for several hundred yards.

Cheetahs- We saw 4, and just missed a chase of an Impala by 3 minutes

Lots of Birds, some defending their nests from several jackals, too many hyenas, of course Zebras Black Buffalo, gazelles, antelopes etc...Overnighted 2 nights at the Serengeti Sopa where monkeys and giraffes kept thesightings till dark. Mbalageti Camp kept the sounds of the life all through the night. All this in the amazing backdrop of the various landscapes of the Serengeti

The Crater-

Almost too easy- lots of everything and a fresh Hippo kill by a pride of lions. We watched as hyenas tried to move in on the kill. Highlight was the Black Rhino

Cultural Visit- Fishing Village on Lake Victoria. I have mixed feelings on this as their problems are more than economic. Their social system allows men to fish all morning, drink all afternoon and have children they dont take responsibility for. I feel the proceeds from the tourists only reinforces this cycle of despair. I must say though, its reality

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
773 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Enjoyed your report. Might there be pictures in the near future? Dick

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Nice Missika

Thank you for the report.

For sure no shortage of animal sightings. Migration in all its gorgeous glory..how wonderful!

Yay for the rhino sighting also

Edited: 01 July 2011, 20:49
Midwest
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Wegoustay,

I hope from the 32mb of photos and video, I can produce something to share soon

WORMSRASCAL,

We stopped at a scenic spot in the W Corridor to just rest and enjoy a group of Impalas. Little did we know a large heard of zebras and wildebeests would thunder out of the ravine behind us in a panic gallup northward. Exciting

I think the not knowing what will happen next keeps safari goers hooked on more and more trips

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Missika, loved your report! You had numerous and very exciting wildlife encounters along the way. And I'm sure that your daughters had lots of fun shopping!

Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Great report. Glad you all has such a great time. It was very nice meeting you and your lovely wife and daughter.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

jintyf,

Welcome Back! The pleasure was all ours, your family is tops.

Cant wait for your report

btw-We almost met littleshelly at Mbalageti. Her 4x4 pulled out before I could say hi. I hope her trip went as well as it appeared. Maybe she too will have a report soon

Malden
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Missika

Hi

I see you did a canoe trip on Lake Victoria. How was it? I am also scheduled to do one when I go on my trip in September. This is supposed to be one of the hightlights of our trip. I would welcome any comments you have.

Russel

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Missika... thanks for the report back. I have to comment on your last paragraph, the reality of Tanzania, and most of Africa for that matter is that, especially in rural areas, the men there drink all day typically and have children they can't afford to have. They typically have very large families, many are polygamous, and they consider the larger families as a blessing and their pension system for their old age.

I once talked to a farmer who told me that he cultivated 15 acres of crops. I told him that I see all his wives and children out in the fields using the hand hoe jambe to plow, weed, and harvest and just what part of the cultivating did he do; and his answer was I plant the seeds. That's all too common. The women of Africa do all the hard work of farming while the men sit and drink telling tales; and planting their seeds.

At least the men on Lake Vic fished for part of the day.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

russelltrevor,

The fishing village is located on a very picturesque bay on Lake Victoria. The visit begins with a presentation by village elders, then moves on to the canoe portion. During the canoe portion you will visit their bamboo reed traps, net fisherman and then fish with hook and line. Afterwards you row back to shore singing a bounty tune. The tune sung alerts the village how much fish to expect. Be sure to have audio for this, as the singing is memorable. This portion of the trip will last more than an hour.

The next portion is the village tour. The tour is full of UNICEF moments as you visit different parts of the village surrounded by village chidren. Many of these children are what they call 'orphans.' They are children of unmarried women and fishermen of the village.

If you arrive early enough in the day, you will be able to experience the fish market, but we arrived to late for that. We did get to visit with women doing wash, some preparing fish, children fetching water and men 'at work' in the boatyard.

Karl,

I know what you mean. It was surprising with so many able bodied men, tools, skill to build canoes, proceeds from the tours that they continue to live in run down mud and stick shacks. I wonder how much of the proceeds they actually receive. I say this because the 'village elders' seemed too young and articulate for fishing village elders. I also noticed the pronoun used by the elders changed from US to THEY when discussing village social ills

chicago illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Earth Tours Safari Review

Very nice report...One question: you traveled during a busy time I am told. Did you find the Serengeti crowded at all?

Thanks.