We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

SF
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

Hello All,

My wife and I live in California, U.S., and would love to travel to Tanzania. The problem is that we only have about 10 days to do that. So if you cut out 2-3 days for travel, we unfortunately do not have much time. Will we be able to see many sites and a variety of animals in only a week? I hate to travel so far and not spend more time than that, but that's all we have.

We're thinking of traveling in January or February of 2012. Anyone have any suggestions of where to travel and what we should make sure to see during that time?

Thanks!

san francisco
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

Others will make recommendations on parks most easy to go to and how much you might see at that time of year.

I will just confine myself to stating my belief (based on my own experience) that noise-cancelling headphones *DO* seem to work (for me, anyway) in that they *greatly* lessen the effects of jet lag. We flew CA to Tanzania and back recently, I truthfully I felt almost no jet lag! (This from a person that had lots of problems with it, that's why I got the headphone initially). You can also plug them into the entertainment console ( at least on KLM) and enjoy the entertainment without hearing the kid crying behind you or the lady telling her life story to a stranger.

Something to consider if you do decide to go.

Arusha
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

Hello,

7 or 8 days are enough for a nice safari in the Norther Circuit. You can see a lot of animals, fantastic views and experience a bit of local culture.

You can't miss Ngorongoro and Serengeti (3 nights), if you have not been there yet.

Have fun.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

Enough time and will visit most of parks.

Can take this as a guideline and others will come out with comments to suite your needs.

Day 1 : Arusha / Kilimanjaro - Tarangire National Park.

Day 2 : Tarangire - Serengeti.

Day 3 : Full day Serengeti National Park.

Day 4 : Serengeti National Park - Ngorongoro.

Day 5 : Crater - Lake Eyasi.

Day 6 : Lake Eyasi - Lake Manyara.

Day 7 : Lake Manyara – Arusha / Kilimajnaro Airport

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

That is an awful long way to fly for such a short time.

However Zanziland suggested itienrary is not too rushed and gets you where you need to be.

I would drop Lake Eyasi perhaps and add time that to Serengeti/Ndutu area.

Then return from the crater straight to Manyara.

Be aware that Jan/Feb 2012 is peak of peaks times for Serengeti and some places are already full.

Maybe wait a year and see if you can find more time?

5. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2011, 14:35
Midwest
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

In either case, you will wish you spent more time. However, I do feel 8 nights would be enough to make the trip worth it

Its a great experience, you will really enjoy it

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

For Jan/Feb 2012, you'll be lucky to find space at many of the areas, especially in the Ndutu/Serengeti areas. Most people book their safaris months, even a year prior. Space as available at time of booking.

Otherwise, you can certainly see enough with the number of days you have.

Arusha (on arrival - 1/nt)

Tarangire (2)

Ngorongoro (1)

Serengeti (3)

Manyara (1)

... then back to Arusha/JRO and homeward

SF
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

Thanks everyone for the help! I agree, it would be better if we had more time. That, combined with the fact that Jan/Feb is peak season, might just mean that we put off the trip for a little while. To be honest, I would rather go during a time that is less crowded, but I'm not sure what time that would be. June/July/August would actually not be too bad of a time frame for us, and would probably give us a chance for a longer trip, but I really don't know if that limits us as to which animals we would see.

Any thoughts on those months? Thanks again!

Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

We were just there in June and saw all the animals we could ever imagine, including the migration. The parks were not overly busy. I think Jul/Aug are busier months.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
747 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 or 8 nights in Tanzania

I think 7 or 8 days on safari is enough (that was the length of our first safari), but it is a long way to go.

Keep in mind that Feb 2012 is getting booked up. I just finalized our trip, and had to juggle around availability for Ndutu and Ngo Crater. So, if you really want to go, best hurry :)