We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A great read

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
A great read

While this is not a book review site, I hope you dont mind if I tell you of a book Im reading. I like to go on a trip prepared with a bit of practical knowledge but I also enjoy finding out "how things came to be". I was in an op.shop (vintage, 2nd hand) when stumbled upon a book "Serengeti Home" by Kaye Turner, published in the 70s, telling of their near 2 decades during the late 50s through to the early 70s living in the isolated Serengeti. Great tales of leopards creeping around the babies cots in tents at night!, cobras in the pantry, lions in the chicken house etc. Kayes husband, ex hunter then new Park warden, pretty much single handedly took on poachers at a time when the animals, big herds were looking at being wiped out if things didnt change suddenly. Tens of thousands of snares were confiscated. They moved to Seronera to build the new Park Headquarters when there was only a handful of "locals", and "tourists" were just starting to trickle in. By the time they left, wildlife numbers had doubled. Im really excited to think Ill be seeing all this and hope to be able to identify some of the spots mentioned in the book. An incredible story if you're interested in the Serengeti--how it was, how it is and how it could have been so easily lost.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A great read

Thanks perthlady. That was one I had not come across. Kaye I assume is the wife of Myles Turner who did so much for the wilderness that now atracts all the visitors. Should be an informative read.

The "new" HQ at Serenera is still there.

I assume you will have read "Serengeti shall not die" by Grzimek? Written in about the same era? If not do get a copy!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A great read

Thank you mfuwe, I will add that one to my list, so many incredible stories to be told. Yes Kaye is Myles wife, what a couple, what a life!

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A great read

Thanks, perthlady, sounds like a fascinating read. It takes a certain amount of bravado to raise babies (human) in the midst of the Serengeti!

And Mfuwe, I already have your Serengeti book on my list and recently purchased your elephant pick, Among the Elephants, by Hamilton.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A great read

Good reads! I bought Hamiltons when it first came out in 1970s. I still can pick it up and read it when I have a desire. Same with Grzimek and one or two others.

Anybody else read Tony Fitzjohn's "Born Wild?".

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A great read

Thanks Perthlady, I will look for this and add it to my reading list. I'm currently listening and trying to learn a little Swahili. I know I'm in trouble when the first phrase is "I speak Swahili" and I can't remember how to say that.

6. Re: A great read

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 10:17