We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flycatcher safaris.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flycatcher safaris.

I am in the initial stages of research for our upcoming Tanzanian trip, focusing on safari to Katavi, Mahale with chimp trekking. Have heard good things about Chad Katavi camp and Greystoke, though they are a bit pricey. Anyone have experience with them? Also Flycatcher safaris offer a Sernegeti, Mahale,Katavi, Ruaha safari for about $7000.00 pp. Anyone used these people. Any info much appreciated.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

I am also in the process of organising a trip to Tanzania and looking at the Flycatcher Safari, have you had any reports on them yet.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

I have considerd them in the past. There's a very good trip report on them over on the Safaritalk forum-

safaritalk.net/topic/…

They are a Swiss company so be prepared for multi lingual groups, but on the whole it sounds pretty good to me.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

I have been on safari for 3 weeks and have seen 2 or 3 of their vehicles which appear to be in satisfactory condition. Important part of the trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

Was just researching this option. This is definitely a better value than the Greystoke/Chada (and Ruaha camp of choice) combo, but it seems like Kungwe/your choice of Katavi/Ruaha camps would cost about the same (obviously assuming you choose relatively inexpensive camps) and give you greater flexibility as well as higher quality (at the expense of not being with the same group for the whole trip).

Edited: 25 June 2012, 07:30
Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

After much consideration my final choices for this trip were, in Selous, Lake Manze camp, in Ruaha, Mdonya Old river camp, in Katavi, Foxes Wilderness camp and in Mahale, Kungwe. As my TO said, these choices are the best value options without compromising on the experience. Whichever options are chosen, this is a pricier trip than many as the air fares push up the cost considerably.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

Thanks for the feedback rick. Wise choices. I see your post was last year. When do you go or have you been?

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

We're off in Sept. As we're travelling from Vancouver Island it's a bit of a jaunt, so on arrival in Zanzibar we'll relax for a couple of days before starting the safari, also terminating the trip with a few more days on Zan.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

Always a good idea to build in a buffer for arrivals. Rest up if not needed.

I learned that one the hard way some tme back when we arived 24 hours later than planned.

Look forward to hearing about it when you get back, if you don't mind, and hope it goes well.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

Rick, this is a trip that I would love to take and not often reported on, so please give us a report when you return. And have a great safari.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flycatcher safaris.

Many thanks. I'm looking forward to the trip and will definitely be sending in a report.