We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

Ontario
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

I sent a request to Maasai wanderings for their price and suggestions for a safari.

I received a reply that they would forward my request to Global Basecamp.who are in the USA.

I thought from other posts on here that Maasai Wanderings was a local operator and that it was always best to book with a local company.

Does anyone have any similiar experience.Is this a normal and safe way to book?

Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

When I was planning my safari, one of the companies I was dealing with also acted through a US agent. The one you mention and the one I corresponded with are both well-regarded TZ-based companies, so I would have no qualms about safety. It will add a middle-man's commission, however, and in my exerience may slow down correspondance, especially when it comes to getting quotations.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,471 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

There are many Arusha/Tanzania based outfitters who have 'reps' in the States or UK (or other countries) to assist clients. By having such reps does shorten time-zone differences for easier contact between outfitter/client. Not at all unusual. Your safari itself will be handled by the Arusha/Tanzania outfitter.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

I booked with a TZ operator that had an US Rep, and the price was competitive. I noticed LOTS of Maasai Wanderings vehicles while in the parks too, so they must be doing something right

Edited: 01 November 2011, 20:10
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

I have booked with maasai wanderings for august 2012, very happy with their feed back so far; we are coming from Europe, and I booked my plane

tickets seperately, so they are handling our trip from our arrival in JRO

San F
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

If Maasai Wanderings sent you to Global Basecamps it's because they are there US representative and the pricing would be the same as if you booked directly with Maasai. This is pretty common for in-country operators to form partnerships with travel companies in places like the US. It's actually the best solution, because you get all the bonding and insurance and customer service of the US company when planning AND you get all the expertise and guidance and support of the local operator when you are in Tanzania.

Also, I've traveled with both companies and it was an incredible experience. Highly recommend...

6. Re: Maasai Wanderings and Global Basecamp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 04:17