We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

Level Contributor
325 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

2 seniors plan to fly into Dar es salaam,then ferry to Zanzibar.Need either a car to drive or a Taxis in Dar to take us around,also in Zanzibar.

Will fly to Arusha and would like to Tour the Serengeti animals and all and be dropped off in Nairobi ,with local tour,to catch our flight back.

We need a Tour guide arranger in Arusha or Nairobi to take us around at least 3- 4 stars please.Could also rent and drive.

Lastly we could start in Nairobi do the Serengeti bit Fly to Zanzibar and finish in Dar.Suggestions welcomed.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

I think you need to begin by looking on the right side of the web page and browsing some of the Top Questions about Tanzania. Find a tour operator, there are many suggested, and tell them what you wish to do, they will make the arrangements for all you are doing. If you only want to visit the Serengeti I would suggest that you fly there and back. The Serengeti is very large so you will want to fly into the lodge area where the animals are located for the time of year that you will be there. While here is no star ratings for lodges and hotels in Tanzania, I would think that any of the lodges and camps in the Serengeti would fall into your category.

Level Contributor
325 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

Hi Karl,

we are aiming for end February 2012..I feel we ought to start in Nairobi...then fly to Zanzibar from Arusha or nearby then fly Back from Dar.What say you.?

I need websites of a couple of tour Guides who can do the Nairobi-Serengeti loop.The Rest I can do on line,any suggestions?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

You can fly to Zanzibar from either Nairobi or Arusha (actually Kilimanjaro airport JRO). Precision Air or Coastal Air fly these routes, also a budget carrier called Fly540 does this route but I don't think every day.

There aren't really tour guides per se there are safari operators and they provide full safari services, vehicles, fuel, accommodations, driver/guides, etc. Everything you need for your safari. If you are going to the Serengeti which is in Tanzania I would strongly suggest that you get a Tanzania safari operator. A safari operator must be licensed by the Tz government in order to take clients into the parks such as the Serengeti. Most Kenyan safari operators (which would be from Nairobi) aren't licensed, some will tell you they can do that but what they actually do is sub contract with a Tz safari operator, I would advise you to go straight to the source. While the Nairobi - Serengeti loop appears to not be all that large on a map, it is. For example in order to get to the Serengeti from Arusha it will take you a good days drive, and the road is hard surfaced from Arusha to Ngorongoro Crater, then into the Serengeti it is all dirt/gravel roads which means that you don't drive as fast and it takes longer.

The typical safari will begin at Arusha, go to either Lake Manyara or Tarangire, then Ngorongoro Crater, then on to the Serengeti. These are all parks and all have great animal viewing.

February is one of the best times to be in the Serengeti. You need to be in the Ndutu area (which is actually in the Ngorongoro Conservation area, not the Serengeti but many don't know that), this is where the great migration will be and they will be calving at that time. This attracts a lot of predators also so you get to see a lot of animals of all kinds. Great time to be there. Warning, this is when a lot of people go there, it's busy, and accommodations will get filled up quickly. Some book a year in advance. So get your bookings in as early as possible.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

As above with the following additional comments. I think first of all you need to buy a good guide book to see where you are going and what you will find.

I also query your statement "we ought to start in Nairobi!" Why land in one ccountry only to cross into another? Would you suggest Karl lands at Pearson to get to Ohio?

From Canada why not fly to Amsterdam and then direct to Kilimanjaro near Arusha? Book the return flight out of Dar es Salaam on the same ticket.

Once you have done that your Safari Operator (KG has done that bit ) will take you around the famous Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti and any other parks you decide before putting you on a plane at Arusha (or the Serengeti) direct to Zanzibar. (why are you going there??)

After Zanzibar a short 15 minute hop gets you back to DAR for the homeward flight.

Finally I don't understand what you mean by "doing the rest On Line". Surely you are not proposing to book Lodges and cars etc., direct? Your Operator will do ALL the arrangeing at no extra cost.

I assume this will be for February 2013 and not 2012.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

We are booked with East African Safari for mid Feb. 2012 out of Arusha, after some time in Kenya. Simon has lots of good reviews here. Check out Swiss Air to DAR (via Nairobi). Then we are spending time in Zanzibar. Lots of flights from DAR and Zanzibar to and from Arusha and Kilimanjaro. I agree with others - book with a local tour operator.

Level Contributor
325 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

Thanks you three.

On line referred to my booking the Air Travel , KLM and Swiss air will be searched.

Is there a website for the Air travel from Nairobi or Kilimanjaro to Zanzibar?

Buckhorn which Local Tour operator have you used ,is private or a group.

We still welcome suggestions for a Local Tour operator

Karl apart from a Cab rental is there a Tour In Dar to take you around the various areas?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

for nternal travel, Arusha to the Coast and Islands and even around the Safari Parks I use www.coastal.cc

If you do end up flying into NBO then the shuttle bus is a cheap way of getting direct to Arusha but then you are faced with the slog of gettng back to NBO.

KLM are running special offers at the moment.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

Kisse... There is a Top Question on the right side of this web page called I need a list of safai operaters to begin my search for a company click on that and you will find a list of safari operators?

For suggestions on going about choosing a safari operator click on With so many safari operators, and operators outside Tanzania, how do I choose one?

As for touring Dar es Salaam you can have your safari operator arrange for this and they will have someone provide a city tour for you, or if you know where you wish to go you can merely get a taxi for a day and they will take you to different places that you wish to go to. On the Dar es Salaam forum you will find a list of Top questions also, and one of those is about what to do in Dar for a day or two, click on that to get some places to go.

One of the problems you will need to deal with in trying to make all the arrangements yourself is the limited use of credit cards there. Many places will not accept credit cards, and those who do will do so only with a fee attached to their use. Credit cards are not widely accepted in Tanzania which makes getting your own air transportation there difficult at times. Some carriers are now using credit cards and some are now using electronic tickets. These are some of the reasons why most people leave this up to the safari operator to make all these arrangements for them than they only have to deal with paying one place.

I have flown into Nairobi several times when I really wanted to go to Tanzania and the reason was because of the better fares into Nairobi. However, be careful in computing this. If the flight gets in late in the afternoon or evening than you will most probably need to overnight in Nairobi in order to make connections down to Arusha. If you leave the airport in Nairobi than you will all need a visa for Kenya. And you need some kind of transportation to get to Arusha. Shuttle buses operate at two time periods 7:00am and 2:00 pm. Precision Air has flights several times a day and up into the evening hours. A flight will be in the $200 range, and a shuttle bus will be $35. You can also get a private vehicle for from $200 - $400 for all of you. What I've used as a measurement of is it better to fly into Nairobi or Arusha (Kilimanjaro) is if there is a $600 difference in price than it will probably be worth it. And sometimes there is.

Unless you have a specific reason for going to Nairobi I would fly directly into JRO (Kilimanjaro) airport. If your safari is going to be a Tanzania safari than I would fly directly into Tanzania, JRO, unless there are significant cost savings by going into Nairobi (NBO).

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

We are using East African Safari Co., but many others have good reviews too. We used Swiss Air as we are going to Kenya first, so can arrive in Nairobi and leave from DAR. Also we booked a while ago and got a good price. They must have been having a sale. Simon has been excellent and we could also pay by credit card through Paypal with an extra 5%. We are flying Fly540 from Wilson to Kili and also paid by credit card and have etickets. Our flight from Arusha to Zanzibar is with Flightlink and they will take cash when we fly. Fly540 also flies to Zanzibar but not the day we needed to. Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
325 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring Nairobi,Serengeti,Zanzibar and Dar

thanks to all of you for your suggestions.I have e-mailed 6 touring companies on the Tanzania webpage..10 days ago,so far No Response?