We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Canada

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Canada

We are going to start our safari in Arusha in Sept. Anyone know the cheapest way to get there from the west coast of Canada? We can fly from Vancouver or Seattle.

Thanks!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Canada

Check sites as Kayak (www.kayak.com) or Orbitz, or Expedia... all search engines for flights, whether out of Vancouver or Seattle.

All will go via Europe for connection to Kilimanjaro/JRO in Tanzania. However, often fares are lower into Nairobi/NBO Kenya, from where you can in the same ticket get a 1/hr connecting flight to JRO. Or you can take Shuttle Bus (5/hrs) to Arusha.

Ethiopian Air, out of Dulles/IAD (suburbs of Wash DC) does have flight via Addis Ababa/ADD to JRO, with fares usually lower than other major carriers.

Start searching!

Victoria, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Canada

We're flying from Victoria to Arusha in February 2012. Best deal was about $1900 Can. Vic to Calgary on Westjet, then KLM to Amsterdam then on th Arusha. All flights are during the night so no need to stay overnight in hotels while in transit...sleep during flight, hopefully.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Canada

Go to Qatar airlines site. I booked a flight from Vancouver for Sept next year for $1523.00 pp.

They have the best fares of any airline I could find. It's a bit of a grind via Dohar but the nearly $1900.00 I saved over any other airline gives me a nice discount on my trip to Katavi/Mahale. You can also go to http:/www.matrix.itasoftware.com for a better breakdown of fares than any other online site, including Kayak, Expedia etc.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,204 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Canada

Decide whether cost or convenience is of most import. I'm not fond of several night flights in a row, myself. I was going to recommend KLM and try to fit in an o/n in Amsterdam for a head start on the jetlag issue. Qatar is cheaper, but I'm not sure it goes to Arusha. It goes to Dar el Salaam then you have to get to Arusha.

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Canada

Hi ~ thanks for the hint ~ I checked it out and they are a great deal and Qatar gets good reviews. I assume you are flying into Dar Es Salaam ~ how are you getting to Arusha? We are looking into a stopover in Doha to break up the trip and have a look.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Canada

We're not going to Arusha. After landing in Dar we're having a 3 day break on Zanzibar then flying from there to Selous, Ruaha,Katavi and Mahale then back to Zanzibar for a few days. The Dar flight worked out best for our southern/western itinerary. If the Dar flight doesn't work for you re: costs to Arusha you can always fly to Nairobi and take a shuttle overland. Apparently with many of Qatars stopovers there's enough time between flights to tour Doha.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Canada

Hi,

Be sure to take advantage of the opportunity to arrange a stopover in Amsterdam en-route. We flew KLM to Dar from Toronto approximately 6 weeks ago and spent 3 days in Amsterdam (KLM charged $80 CDN). It breaks up the flights and is an excellent way to sneak a short European holiday into the itinerary.

Have a great time n Tanzania!!!

Paul

8. Re: Flights from Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2012, 10:20