We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

We are all "booked and confirmed" for a Feb/Mar safari with Basecamp. Thanks to everyone here for your advice. Originally, we were planning for June but moved it up to mid-February at the rather last minute. I know some people plan a year in advance. I started the process in late November from scratch and changed months to visit, so the actual bookings were done not more than a month out.

Our itinerary looks like this (I've posted this several times -- sorry -- but I had a request to post our final itinerary so here it is):

Fly into JRO, spend first couple nights in Arusha to get over jet lag. Arumeru Lodge.

Then officially on safari:

Day 1:

Hiking in Arusha NP, overnight Arumeru Lodge.

Day 2: Tarangire NP, overnight Tarangire Safari Lodge.

Day 3: Tarangire NP, overnight Boundary Hill Lodge so we can take a night game drive.

Day 4-6: Serengeti NP, overnight Serengeti Wilderness Camp (tents).

Day 7: Drive to Ngorongoro NP; enroute Oldupai Gorge, overnight Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge (on the rim).

Day 8: Day hike, Embakai Crater, overnight Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge.

Day 9: Ngorongoro Crater game drive, drive to Lake Eyasi, overnight Tindiga Tented Camp.

Day 10: Visit Hadzapi Bushmen, afternoon drive to Arusha, overnight Arumeru Lodge.

Day 11: Fly to Zanzibar for five nights, Zanzibar Coffee House hotel and then fly home.

This is our first African safari so I wanted to get a mix rather than just being in a vehicle the whole time. And it's fairly a "budget" option, though we are splurging to be on the crater rim (I'm assuming - I have no idea what we are paying for the individual hotels).

I emailed several safari operators to get quotes. Basecamp is known for its good rates but still has good reviews on TA. Achmed seemed to sum up what I would like from just one email. He's obviously been at this for awhile.

I also really liked what I heard from Warrior Trails and suggest that they be a company to consider - good communication, good places to stay, good prices - I was just already pretty far in with Basecamp so decided to stay with them.

Several other operators looked great, but a bit expensive for us. And I didn't really like the ones that pushed talking over the phone right away. I realize why they would want to do that but it felt a bit too pushy for me so I didn't go that route. And I chose a local TZ company even though it's a bit daunting to send half the cost up front.

I also did a lot of research for Zambia and Rwanda (for gorillas) but eventually, we decided not to go to either place because the cost was just getting higher than we wanted to go - hopefully, we'll get to those places some other time.

So, fire away with any questions you have! PM if you want specific information.

We are going with Delta/KLM for the flight from SFO to JRO and will fly back from DAR. Got a decent rate, I thought, for an open jaw at around $1,400 pp but then, the flights look really cheap as of yesterday if someone wanted to go very last minute.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

thank you for this report. I think it is a great synopsis of your planning adventure. Looks like a great final itinerary. Have a wonderful time.

We are very lucky to have such a strong and knowledgable Tanzania forum on TA to help out.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

I wouldn't worry about a thing you will have a great trip.You have an unusual itinerery that will be perfect for you.

Edited: 13 January 2012, 20:04
Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

Nice to see a different itinerary. I will look forward to your trip report.

Basecamp provided a wonderful trip for us in June and I'm sure they will for you too.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

Great itinerary. Just be prepared, on Day 4, for a rather long drive from Tarangire (Boundary Hill) to the (Wilderness Camp) in the Serengeti.

Will look forward to your trip report.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

>>Just be prepared, on Day 4, for a rather long drive from Tarangire (Boundary Hill) to the (Wilderness Camp) in the Serengeti.

Okay. Thanks for the heads up about that. I'm sure I have no idea what I'm in for.

:-)

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

Yay!!! How exciting.

Now that youre all booked and confirmed...let the countdown begin!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

>>Yay!!! How exciting.

Now that youre all booked and confirmed...let the countdown begin!!!

Yes! And I won't have long to wait! I am extremely excited and know I'll have a great time. I like to just take it all in without *expecting* anything - much more fun to travel that way. And I never forget how lucky I am to get to travel. The vast majority of the people we see when we travel will never have the chance to travel like we do.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

Love the itinerary

9. Re: Not a question, but a thanks and thoughts about planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2013, 10:25