We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Stoney Tangawizi, Banana Beer any other suggestions to satisfy a thrist with a local flavor and maybe a snack.

Crapshooter

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Banana beer is revolting IMO.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

What about Kilimanjaro, Serengeti larger and Safari larger, all beer, and for a more local flavor -mbege made out of bananas.

A snack is easy if you are near a small town go to the local bar for roast beef or goat and alwasy a favourite chicken and then"chips mayai."

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Because I'm a diabetic, I am always getting biscuits (actually cookies for us) when I'm there and always have them handy, I also keep a supply of tangerines when in season and bananas on hand.

I agree with NE, I would never turn down a Serengeti or Kilimanjaro beer. They typically don't make it cold like we enjoy and many times it is warm beer; but if you're a bit ingenious you can get around that and get it at least cool.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

<noexpert>

Is ' mbege" the same as banana beer that <nozzie> things is revolting or something different. Is it easyh to locate.

Crapshooter

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,188 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Kilimanjaro with a snack of red bananas for me. I'll be looking for the Stoney Tangawizi next trip. There is Konyagi (gin). Drinkable with lots of additions and ice cold - which means it may not be an "on the trail" drink.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

ah, yes... gotta try a snack of chipsi mayai (which means "chips and eggs" - think an open omlet with leftover french fries and you won't be too far off).

As to the nyama choma - the roast meat that seems to be the most ubiquitous food in Tanzania... I really wanted to do it... seemed like just the right thing... order some beers and a half a kilo of roast meat... but we sat in a couple of bars and watched the guys swishing the flies away - not very effectively... and just couldn't do it. I know - everybody eats it and it must be just fine... I just couldn't do it.

Our favorite snack food was the samosas... uniformly good - and the ones at the Bamboo Cafe in Arusha were excellent.

My best advice is that you take every opportunity to try Tanzanian foods as the food on safari tends toward American/European food for tourists.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

QM.

<<There is Konyagi (gin). >>

Waragi in Uganda. Made from sugar cane usually. One Lodge I favour makes their own!! but not for the faint hearted.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 20:19
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Sorry folks. I thought I was on the Uganda forum!

Happy New Year anyways!

Should stick to "Stoney".

Edited: 18 January 2012, 20:20
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Crapshooter

"mbege" is different to banana wine and is available in most small towns and and some of the local town bars.It is a bit thicker than normal beer. It is like "chips mayai" and " nyama choma" not a normal western style drink or food.

One of the favourite snack foods of my daughter (17 years old) is freshly cut chips and then eggs and an "omlette" and introducing her school friends to a bit on Tanzanian culture.

Idiots I suppose like anything food is what you are used to.

an aside-

When I was living in Tz I would often go to the local butchers shop myself. it was just a small hut on the street corner with a half a cow hanging up with all the offal right next to it, of course you would have the usual flys in attendance. As I usually wanted the best cuts topside or rump or even half a leg I would ask the butcher ( a term used loosely) for what he had behind his door where usually the best cuts were hidden. Then I would ask him to cut me a bit and weigh it. It was usually wrapped in a well read newspaper- which alwasy stuck to the meat. As fillet was $ 2:50 US a kilo then I usually ate plenty of meat. You would always have some left over for the house boy and the dog.

For me the local bars and "nyama choma" were normal that being said I do live in Australia now where flys are a pretty big part of life.

mfuwe welcome back and it is Chinese New Year at least.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Something to satisfy a thrist while on the trail

Stoney Tangawizi, man I love that drink. I gave up on wine and sort of cool mixed drinks as why bothers. Don't drink beer, so Stoney's was my drink of choice. The master liked him some Kili, though.

Plum