We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

Houston
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

We plan to go to Tanzania/ Serengeti. Confused about which company to go with. Looking for input from anyone who has experience with these two companies

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,332 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

Use the search engine above. You will find that many of the experts on Tanz forum recommend, prefer or have more experience with local Tz tour operators. There are, however, various posts about about both of these.

Sorry, but a lot of safari planning is just that - planning, planning and more planning. Hard to reduce the legwork.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,614 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

Go2Africa is based in South Africa, reputable and rather competitive pricing; Africa Dream Safaris is located in California, reputable but their prices tend to be higher than other like companies.

Besides recommendation above to 'search' on this board, why not ask these two outfitters for references, write to those offered for actual client feedback.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

I was shocked to see on Africa Dream Safaris website the (false) statement that tsetse flies do not transmit disease to humans. It's under FAQs/safari annoyances: "It is hard to avoid being bitten by Tsetse fly on any safari but keep in mind that they do not spread diseases like mosquitoes." In fact tsetse flies can transmit African sleeping sickness which is fatal if untreated.

That would be enough to make me steer clear of them. So irresponsible.

I have no knowledge of Go2Africa. I am going with Serengeti Pride Safaris.

Fairbanks
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

I'm not sure it's fair to single out Africa Dream Safaris. I have been told by several sources in Tanzania (lodges, tour operators, a health aid at Seronera) that tsetses in the northern circuit parks do not carry sleeping sickness. In contrast, the Center for Disease Control says there is Trimpanosomiasis (Sleeping sickness) in Tanzania, including the Game Parks, but infection is rare--on average one case among US travellers to Africa per year. By all means take precautions against tsetse bites. There is a slight chance they can be deadly and a much greater chance they can be painful and annoying (I know from experience), although many people don't seem to be bothered by them at all.

5. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 February 2012, 14:05
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

Go2Africa and Africa Dream safaris are overseas agents not Tanzanian tour operators. I agree with jomba I would use a local company-better and cheaper.

re tse tse I have been bitten hundreds of times maybe more. Like to sleep but don't know if there is any relation.

There is tse tse with sleeping sicknees within Tanzania but not common in Tarangire not any of the other parks. You would have to go far further south than the normal route to find them.

I have been bitten also in Ruaha and Selous again many times. so wouldn't worry too much. I try to avoid the main tse tse areas and hope for the best.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,614 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

While mossies and tse-tse don't like me. Less than 5/bites* of either in 17/yrs, no malaria or sleeping sickness.

*The one and only tse-tse bite, admittedly nasty, while my friend was practically attacked by them... bites everywhere, and NO sleeping sickness, just lots of that pink Calamine lotion that made her look as she had Chicken Pox..

Just as NOT every mosquito carries malaria,, likewise NOT every tse-tse carries sleeping sickness, and those that are in the usual safari locales are those that don't. Not in defence of African Dream Safaris or other tour operators... they're not lying in what they're saying.

Sure wish the CDC or WHO would be more specific (as they do in explaining which mossies are dangerous, but who knows which one might be flying around our head/ears at any time) should qualify their statements re tse-tse flies.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

I just found the Go2Africa site. I had not heard of them before. Have you contacted them and gotten any positive feedback?

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

We booked through Go2Africa via email from Australia . Their representative Maureen Strover did a good job of arranginga safari with Ranger Safari and booking accomodation and transfers at Arusha before and after the safari. She promptly dealt with my many email enquiries and provided a detailed and accurate itinerary.

10. Re: Anyone heard of 1) Go2Africa and 2)Africa Dream Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 07:17