We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 days and counting...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
24 days and counting...

Okay, I'm just excited about my first visit to Tanzania and I know there are a "few" of you out there who can relate!

Does anyone have a favorite novel set in Africa that you can recommend? I like to add in a little fiction in with my non-fiction when I'm planning a trip.

Can't wait! Getting my Yellow Fever shot this week - ouch. If I remember correctly, it was sort of unpleasant the first time I took one. Will also see which malaria meds the doc recommends.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 days and counting...

Great question, salonsf! I'm about to leave myself on the first trip to Africa in 16 days and would love to hear some book recommendations from others on this forum!

I'm going with the generic form of malarone which apparently was just approved in the US.

Have a wonderful trip!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 days and counting...

#1 Ladies Detective Agency - set in Botswana. Initially self published by a Brit who lived many years there, now a serial of about 10 years running. 2 years ago made into an HBO/BBC series - the shows are wonderful. Not quite the same as Tz, but it will give some interesting perspectives and a real human side of Africa. I've been able to get them from my local library for years. Light enough reading and then something to keep on reading after you return.

Finland
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 days and counting...

There are many that I've enjoyed.

- Karen Blixen's novels, naturally.

- Bernhard Grzimek: Serengeti shall not die

- Kuki Gallmann: I dreamed of Africa

- André Brink's novels

From African writers: …wikipedia.org/wiki/African_literature#Major… (long list)

glasgow
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 days and counting...

Good idea! I was wondering the same. We leave in ten days! 4 days Rwanda for gorilla trecking, 6 nights safari northern Tanzania and 5 nights zanzibar.. we also got malarone but its not cheap! After shopping about different pharmacys we got the cheapest at morrissons.. 29 tabs for 65 quid... Cannot wait! ;-)

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 days and counting...

While looking for the two books I read on the Amazon, iBooks and audible sites, I came across a novel called Tears of the Maasai by Frank Coates. Audible listeners gave it good reviews. In fact if you go to any of those sights and plug in Africa you will find some good selections. I also read Karen Bixen, Beryl Markham, Alexander McCall. Then the two I was looking for, which I couldn't find: One was a story about a young Maasai boy who yearns to got to school, while family wants him to kill a lion and become a warrior. Long story short, he does both and ends up teaching in an American prep school. The other was a young women trying to find herself, goes to Kenya, lives with one of the tribes and ends up founding a charity to help children.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 days and counting...

tripadvisor.com/…36543574

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 days and counting...

TravelPlum - your second book - My Maasai Life - by Robin Wiszawaty? Great book about her year in Kenya's Maasai world, but if it is the same one, she also works in Kenya as a rep for Save the Children which is an organization that was started by a 12 year old Toronto lad in 1995 who wanted to stop child labor.

Crapshooter, thanks for that link again. It's a shame that we cant seem to find mfuwe's suggestions this side of the pond.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 days and counting...

I loved Kay Turners "My Serengeti Home", imagine a young wife with her park warden husband setting up home in the isolation of the Serengeti in the 60s. She had two children there, pushed her pram along the tracks under the watchful eye of lions, camped out with her husband and babies and ultimately went on to entertain the worlds great political leaders, royalty, stars....over the next two decades. All at a time when the Serengeti and its wildlife looked doomed. One of my most favourite reads.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 days and counting...

Actual I did get all of mfuwe books on line and other suggestions for specific editions.. They were not always on popular sites and required some digging. That's want makes the internet so interesting.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 days and counting...

Not all of the above recommendations are novels but, I am sure, nonetheless great reads. So I will recommend a nonfiction book.

Thank you, Mfuwe! I ordered Among the Elephants by Douglas-Hamilton a few months ago on Amazon. It is no longer in print, and this was a 1975 copy in good condition. What an amazing story of a young man working on his PhD thesis who went to Lake Manyara to study the elephants in 1968. When Iain was researching there, elephants had the densest overall population in Manyara of any park in Africa.

There was a great mammal biomass in the park -- 60 giraffe, 30 rhino (!), and 420 elephants living within the confines of the park. There were also many buffalo (the second most populous species after ele), hippo, zebra, babboon and some predators.

This is a delightful read that gives one a great sense of what TZ was like before it became a tourist destination. And, if you love elephants, it is a "must read." The descriptions of the ele encounters are superb!