We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time in Serengeti

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Time in Serengeti

I will be spending 4 nights in Serengeti in August as part of a 10 day (9 night) Northern Circuit Safari. Given the time of year, I know I want to spend some time up north (Sayari, probably). Question is, should I spend 1 night in Central Serengeti and 3 nights up North, or 2 and 2. I'm a first-timer, so any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time in Serengeti

This is difficult to answer without seeing your full itinerary and considering other things like budget. For most people, my recommendation would be to fly back from the North because the drive there and back is rather long. This recommendation gets stronger as time available goes down and/or as the money available goes up. I hope that makes sense.

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time in Serengeti

Thanks. I'm definitely planning on flying out from the North, I'm just not sure how to distribute my days.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time in Serengeti

Okay, that's good. Now I'm comfortable with either 2 and 2 or 1 and 3. Best would be 2 and 3, probably (2 central, 3 north). But that's why I'd have to see your full itinerary. If you do just 1 in the Central, then you probably won't have enough time in the to really explore the area. At the same time, only 2 in the North may mean only 1 full day to explore that area because the first day is travel and so is the last. That's why I'd like to see the rest of your itinerary and see if there is another place to save a day so you can add one in the Serengeti.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time in Serengeti

on the question of 1-3 or 2-2...

we loved the north - our favorite safari location of our 10 days - but I think people can get too hung up on trying to predict the unpredictable Great Migration and might lose sight of the overall Serengeti ecosystem. Your answer partially depends on the rest of your route and when you arrive in Central/Seronera area. There's lots to see in that area year round... lots of lions, leopards, a great hippo pool you can drive right up to (unlike Manyara), kopjes... so don't slight the central on a quest to see a bunch of cows (wildebeest) migrating.

Don't get me wrong - we loved the big herds - but everything in balance...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time in Serengeti

I overlapped with Brian on that one... good to see I didn't contradict the expert!

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time in Serengeti

Thanks, very helpful. Nothing is set in stone, but I was thinking 2 nights in Tarangire, 1 at Lake Manyara, and 2 at Ngorongoro prior to Setengeti. Planned to do all by ground, and then fly out of the North Setengeti, but any contrary suggestions are welcome.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Time in Serengeti

Departing Ngorongoro, it's just too long a drive straight-on to the North. So on entering Serengeti, can have full-day game drive till reaching Central for dinner and overnight.

Next morning early, can spend maybe an hour or two in/around Central or just, do game drive (3-4/hrs) to the North to spend the remaining 3/nts.

Departing from here by air to Arusha or JRO.

So, 1+3 is my vote.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time in Serengeti

The Itinerary as is is well spread but if I may can I suggest just one overnight at the Crater? From Manyara you will be up there after lunch/late pm, so plenty of time to settle in.

Next morning do your Crater visit until lunch time and you will still get to central Serengeti for dinner.

Now you have that extra day Brian was trying to win and can take 2 Central and 3 in the north before flying out..

Win win!

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time in Serengeti

I second Mfuwe's sentiments, but if I may... the absolute best case scenario: Add a day.

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time in Serengeti

Thanks again. I'd love to add a week, but. . . In any event, it sounds like the consensus is if I want to save a day to do 2-3, one of the crater nights is the way to go. And half a day is enough time in the Crater (enough being a relative concept, I know)?