We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasons for packing a tripod?

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Reasons for packing a tripod?

Packing and noticing how heavy my tripod is! Debating whether to bring it or not. Used it lots in Iceland, and it may be cloudy given the forecast but those of you who are photographers out there...any advice?

If I brought it...what would be it's main uses?

Thanks

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

My husband just takes a small tripod (less than 12 inches in height) and sets it up on the roof o the jeep when we stop. He uses it a lot but I don't think he would bring anything bigger (but then photography is not the "be all and end all" for us, we just want some nice photos to remember our trip by and show friends and family). Others where photography is a bigger bit of their trip may say differently

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of photography while hiking, I would suggest not bothering with it as you won't be able to effectively use it inside a safari vehicle. A bean bag may be of better use, although many suggest just using a rolled up sweater or jacket.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

Many thanks...I have a DIY beanbag. I won't be hiking. Thought maybe at night for sunsets....but I've just given up trying to pack anything else! Will leave it at home. Thanks for your replies.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

Depending on your views, for sunsets (or sunrises) maybe the only use for one. In the case of our lodging, we only had decent sunset photo ops/views on two of the nights as most of our lodging was in the bush. I got decent hand held photos at the Ngorongoro Crater sunset . . . but admittedly would have benefited from the tripod in Tsavo West.

The way our luggage got handled and jammed into the safari vehicle, I'm glad I didn't risk having my tripod damaged or bent in my softsided duffle bag.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

Every trip, I've gotten great sunset/rise photos and never had a tripod or even needed a bean bag.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

Sorted! It's staying at home! I have a wonderful 70-200m lens which has a large aperture so I should be fine! am keeping all my camera stuff on me...last trip BA lost it for 2 days...with everything needed to take good whale pictures! Never again!

Thanks for all your help

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

I never carry a Tripod. NO good on Safari and for sunsets/rises and star shots just put it on a ledge or rock and use the Self timer. Or remote shutter release if you have one.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

I see you've made up your mind but I'll still present the alternative view. I would never go on safari without my tripod. In the vehicle, of course I will use the beanbag. But the tripod will be used around the lodges/camps for bird photography, sunsets, sunrises, and if the weather cooperates, hopefully star and night photography, star trails, etc. Also there are times during some days in some places that you may be able to exit the vehicle (at picnic spots, for example).

It really depends on your style of photography and how used you are to dealing with a tripod. For me its no big deal and I can set it up in about 30 seconds when I need to. There's no way I would have gotten an image like this one without a tripod--taken from the deck of my cabin:

jczinn.com/South%20Africa/South%20Africa%202…

or this one, taken on the grounds of our lodging:

or, for that matter, this one, also taken from a cabin window:

(These are all from South Africa, but you get the idea.) So I say if you can take it, take it.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

I understand what you're saying...but I'm staying in a tiny tent so my views at night won't be as good as yours! I see we both use a 300s! I'm off to Namibia then south Africa in august so I will have to leave the sunsets til then...unless i have it as my 2nd bag...got me thinking now!!!

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasons for packing a tripod?

Nice pics and you are to be congratulated on the quality.