We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

Hello Hello:

Just curious if I can expect to have Wifi at the Sopa Lodges in Serengeti, Tarangire, Ngorngoro ?

Is the wifi available only in the common areas (bar, for example) or in individual rooms?

Are there costs involved ?

Thanx,

joearena

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

I just read on here recently that someone was searching for WIFI 'everywhere' in Tanzania and couldn't find any.

I was just there and used a Vodacom cell phone modem and was surprised to have good internet in Arusha, decent internet in Mugumu and spotty internet in Nyamuswa. The Nyamuswa access was revolutionary to me, even though it didn't work for about 2 of the 5 days I was there.

So, if you really must have internet access on your device, then I would recommend that you purchase a cell phone modem and insert a Vodacom SIM chip. You would then be likely to have internet connection. I believe you can get unlimited monthly access for about $25 a month. It's slow, but it's a lot better than zero.

Most hotels will have computers available with internet access and you will pay per the hour or half hour. Access will probably be very slow unless they are hooked up to TTCL (the Tanzanian phone company) in which case it may be surprisingly fast. I was able to use video Skype recently and the image was impressive.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

We stayed in those 3 Sopa Lodges in Tanzania last October. We had Wifi acess in all of them. Though mostly only in the public areas. The service was either free or very inexpensive. (Cant quite remember)

Edited: 07 February 2012, 01:20
Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

I know they had it at the Sopa Crater and Serengeti in public areas. It was not strong and steady, but it got the job done. I think it was free, but they changed your password every once in awhile

Plum

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

I was recently at Sopa Serengeti which had it in the public areas including poolside. Our room was also close enough to that area that early in the morning & late at night I was able to get a decent connection on our balcony.

At the Sopa Ngorongoro it was also in the main lobby and bar area and decent enough, although at times it did bog down.

Oh . . . it was free in these areas :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

Glad to hear they've made those positive changes. I was at all three places in March, 2009 and the charge was $12 per 30 minutes and the connections were very slow. Ah, progress.

6. Re: Wifi capabilities/costs at the Sopa Lodges ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 10:33