We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

I'm organizing a conference in Tanzania and expect a number of international visitors arriving from all points on the globe. I read that it is possible to get a visa on arrival at the airport, and on my last visit I did see the booth where one could, in theory, purchase a visa on arrival.

My question: does anyone out there have experience with this? Is it a smooth and easy process? Are visa-seekers obliged to pay in cash, and what currencies are accepted?

Or, should I encourage my conference participants to get their visas from a Tanzanian embassy, before arrival? (Note for many of them this will involve mailing their passport to an embassy far away.)

96 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

That's exactly what our tour operator is handling for us.

That Pakistani embassy in Tanzania was pretty relaxed about it, but we'd like to be on the safer side.

I'm fairly surprised that there isn't an embassy in Pakistan, as there are a lot of Pakistanis who travel back and forth for business as well as tourism. I'm also surprised that they wouldn't at least have a neighboring country's embassy handle visas for them or at least provide information. (We tried the Kenyan embassy and Pakistan and they had no information for us).

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

Hopefully the TO will get it all straightened out for you.

Tanzania doesn't have all that many embassies worldwide. That's why they have rather open visa purchase at the borders, or at least that's what I've always assumed.

I just looked at all the places where Tz has an Embassy located, and there are not all that many and it appears that the closest to Pakistan would be Bangladesh, Turkey, or India. None all that close.

India
2 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

Hi, I am a first time traveller to Tanzania from India. can i get the yellow fever vaccine on arrival at the Dar-e-Salaam airport? Also, what happens to my luggage while i wait in line for visa and vaccine?

Edited: 02 June 2013, 18:13
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

They will administer the vaccine if required, at a cost. Like all airports you luggage will be on the baggage belt until you get it. If there are more planes arriving they will remove it and set it in the belt area. This is not a large airport, there is one baggage belt.

India
2 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

Thanks Karl. I printed out a visa application form from the Tanzanian High Commission's website. will it hold good at Dar airport or is it advisable to get one there?

Edited: 03 June 2013, 02:11
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

They will have a landing card wich you will need also, they are passed out on some arriving flights or are available at desks in the airport. It won't hurt to take the downloaded form with you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

Hi we are flying in to Nairobi from the UK then on to Arusha- has anyone got recent experience of obtaining visas on arrival?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

"has anyone got recent experience of obtaining visas on arrival?"

Yes. And people post about it. You could do a search (GREEN button above here. Search by DATE).

However, recent experience is no guide to future experience....

Berlin
2 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

Is this information still valid? I really hate sending my passport to an embassy... I will be travelling towards the end of December this year. Many thanks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?

Information is still current. Arrive TZ. Hand over Passport and form and US$50. Get stamp in Passport. Welcome to Tanzania. Bring Yellow Fever Certificate if you have one. They may ask.

Reply to: Getting a Visa on Arrival--good idea?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted