We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

Olean, NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

Does anyone know how long a wait it will be around the Christmas holiday (dec. 28) to get a visa at the airport..and do you need 2 passport photos? We fly in at 8:30pm with carry ons only. Is it better and cheaper to do this ahead of time from the US? Thanks I have seen other posts regarding this but they are old.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

Answered four hours ago, is that too old? :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k514…

Only it doesn't answer your question about passport photos. No, no passport photos needed if you get it in person.

Time to get visas won't vary much from day to day.

Olean, NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

Sorry....for some reason it did not show up when I did my search initially...felt like an idiot after I posted.....however....I am still undecided since we will be going over the Christmas holiday. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused....and I so enjoy sarcasm....;(

Olean, NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

Brian...what about ice and certain foods. I have been chatting with a past customer of our Safari company who says to stay away from seafood and not use the ice as a precaution. She stayed at the same lodges I will be staying in...she states that because the power goes on an off she decided not to partake in seafood. I thought they all had generators? Thanks

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

I probably wouldn't eat the sea food either nor use the ice.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

old posts, seafood, guests... they all start to smell after a couple of days...

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

I would ask if they use boiled or bottled water for their ice and then based on how I liked the answer, you might give ice a try. Some mixed drinks just aren't the same without ice and some places are good enough to provide ice made with clean water. If you can stay away from ice, that eliminates one potential concern.

Regarding food, there is a simple, easy to remember rule that is supposed to give you some assurance that you'll stay safe: Peel it, boil it, or forget it. This would mean that salads are not okay. Some places probably have perfectly safe salads. But cooked foods and peeled foods are supposed to provide extra protection.

Fish: No need for a generator when eating fresh fish, which is what you might get in some places, especially Zanzibar, so ask. and again see how comfortable you feel based on the response.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

<<We fly in at 8:30pm with carry ons only.>>

You will wait in line whether or not you have a Visa or need to get one. It is dark at 7pm so guess your destination that night is not far away. What difference is a few more minutes going to make?

Fish is fine as it is from the river or lake and not dragged 600km inland. I do not recall seeing "Seafood" on any menu except maybe fried Calamari.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 11:53
nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

Seafood/fish when on ZNZ is fine as it's daily catch right from the Indian Ocean.

Most all properties use bottled/boiled water for cubes, as if they didn't there'd be lots of ill guests, and there aren't. But don't hesitate to ask.

I eat everything when it comes to fruits/veggies and never a bad tummy in 17/yrs. Choice, of course, is yours.

Olean, NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

This woman mentioned fish on the menu. We will not be on the coast at all..Tarangire...Ngoro..Serengeti

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa..do it ahead or at Kilimanjaro airport?

Not all Fish is from the Sea.

Tanzania's fresh water lakes and rivers have fish in them and fishermen sell them to the Lodges. You will see fishermen at Tarangire and Lake Manyara.

Tilapia is a beautiful eating fish.