We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kensington Tours

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kensington Tours

Anyone have direct experience with Kensington Tours in Africa-mainly Tanzania & Kenya. And just Kensignton Tours in general.

Thanks in advance

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kensington Tours

Do a search on this forum, also that for Kenya... there are a few threads about Kensington.

Cambridge, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kensington Tours

We used Kensington for our safari and I was very pleased with their work. We went in early June, before the heavy tourist season. Our guide and the people in Nairobi were wonderful. The agent in the US was also very helpful in putting the trip together. I thought the price was reasonable compared to what others have told me, especially since we were not part of a larger group.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kensington Tours

I just came back from a Kenyan safari through Kensington Tours. Our guide Steve Weru was excellent - we saw animals like lions and cheetahs that we would not have without him. Many times we stopped and other vehicles would come see what we found. They have a great office in a former home in Nairobi with a living room w/TV and showers to hang out while you wait for your return flight.

Everyone very courteous and helpful. Not as expensive as other tours.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kensington Tours

There are lots of great reviews on Kensington TOurs. They seem to provide a great service. We considered them very strongly until we go quotes from local operators. We were able to put to gether the same itinerary and same locations/lodges for 50-60% less than with Kensington. Nothing wrong with that, but just be aware you are paying a significant premium.

They are cheaper than African Dream Safaris or A&K, but not cheaper than any of the local operators. If you like them and don't mind the extra cost, go for it.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kensington Tours

Kensington Tours would be similiar to@ beyond-recently a poster received a quote for a trip from @beyond it was $9000 pp and a local operator was $4000pp for a 10 day trip.

That is just to give you a rough idea of the price difference between a local operator and one based overseas.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kensington Tours

Noexpert-

Exactly. That is very close to the quotes I received from Kensington and the quotes from the local TO's. Mine was off season, so a 12 day safari from Kensington was around USD$8000 pp and the 6 local operators averaged to around USD$3500 pp. Same locations and some same lodges and some similar lodges. Of course, the local TO were all private safaris, no "tour groups."

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kensington Tours

I have just returned from a ten day safari in Kenya and Tanzania, operated by Kensington Tours. Our tour comprised six of us from Canada, the U.S.A. and Britain. Notwithstanding a few minor administrative irritants at the beginning of the tour, I would highly recommend this tour company as an excellent choice amongst the very large number of safari operators in this region. We were able to develop a personalized tour that met our financial and accommodation requirements and we were also able to build in an extra flight to reduce the extensive road transportation inherent in any safari..

The trip was outstanding and seemed to get better, if that was possible, every new day. Our two guides, Mike in Kenya and Raymond in Tanzania, were outstanding, They both had a tremendous love and appreciation for the wildlife and could find with ease wildlife seemingly hidden away beyond anyone's view. Our accommodation was 4 stars+ and was varied and at all times extremely comfortable with excellent security provided and phenomenal vistas of the Serengeti and the Masai Mara National Parks..

The weather at the time we traveled was absolutely perfect, the accommodation excellent and the wildlife viewings far beyond our expectations. The personnel at Kensington Tours at all times were responsive, sensitive and very accommodating. I certainly would recommend this company for anyone that is looking to experience an outstanding 10 day safari in the $5-6,000 range per person (based on six persons traveling together).

Mike, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kensington Tours

<an outstanding 10 day safari in the $5-6,000 range per person (based on six persons traveling together).>

I think that proves NoExperts and Stephens point about cost admirably. $36,000 for ten days? Really?

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kensington Tours

USD 600 per person per day.

That's a lot of money to the middleman!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kensington Tours

Can u recommend any local tour operators? I am looking for an 8 day pvt tour of Tanzania with a Kensington tour itinerary but les $$$