We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveler seeking small group safari

Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Solo traveler seeking small group safari

I'll be in Nairobi from March 3-18, but want to take a 4-8 day safari into Northern Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Manyara) and for convenience would like to combine it with a trip to Masai Mara. I'll be traveling alone to these places, but would like going a small group of other solo travelers.

I would like the safari to focus on wildlife and scenery, but would appreciate some local culture mixed in too.

My starting budget is around $1500, but can go up depending on the length of the trip. I like the looks of the tented camps. I don't need anything ultra luxury but I would like a warm shower every day.

Does anyone have any recommendations for operators that might be a good match for me? Also, is there anyone else reading this in the same situation who would want to go team up and go together?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

For the $1,500 you will probably be closer to the 4 day safari then the 8 day safari. You will also have to take what's available if you go on a group safari (sharing with others). You can only say what to do and where to stay if you are on a private safari.

Also, going to the Mara from Tanzania will take longer then you might think, it will probably take you at least a day to get there (you can't go directly from the Serengeti to the Mara, you need to go to a border crossing to pass through immigration.

Your best bet to join a group of people together for a safari would be to go there and put it together in Arusha, I would suggest going to the Masai Camp (a hotel in Arusha which seems to attract younger people) and trying to find someone there to go with you. This will probably take one or two days of your time to put this together. Another place to check after you're there is the bulletin boards at the bamboo cafe and the Tz tourist board.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 19:16
Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

Thanks for your response, though that's not the answer I was hoping for! I prefer to have it planned in advance in order to optimize my time there, and also to make sure I'll be going with a reputable company. I will keep trying to contact operators, but if I can't find anything before I go I'll definitely take your suggestion. Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

You might want to check the Lonely Planet forum to find others to join for a trip. There's always someone looking for another person to join a safari.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa…

Rochester, MN
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

I will be in Arusha between March 11 and 18, and like camping safari for 6 days. I am still debating on joing a team for $1000, or hiring a 4-wheel for $600/wk with driver. In addition to car, you have to pay to feul, park fee and camp fee. Any chance to come to Arusha?

Rochester, MN
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

I will be in Arusha between March 11 and 18, and like camping safari for 6 days. I am still debating on joing a team for $1000, or hiring a 4-wheel for $600/wk with driver. In addition to car, you have to pay to feul, park fee and camp fee. Any chance to come to Arusha?

Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

I'm not interested in camping. Would you consider a standard lodge or tented camp instead?

Rochester, MN
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

Sounds good to me, please contact me midwest2003@hotmail.com.

I am also contacting with an operator in Arusha now.

8. Re: Solo traveler seeking small group safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 10:18