We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road closures on Kenyan Border.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Road closures on Kenyan Border.

So what is happening out there at Taveta and Namanga?

Reports in Kenya's Daily Nation say arbitrary imposition by TZ of $200 "Road Tax" has led to border closure.

Any news from the TZ side?

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road closures on Kenyan Border.

Hi Mfuwe

I think it is imposed on foriegn reg vehicles

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road closures on Kenyan Border.

Asante Bwana,

Much ado about nothing again. Kenya makes it look like a diplomatic incident.

Is the same thing being charged by Kenya to TZ trucks?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road closures on Kenyan Border.

Best to wait for this 'article' to shake out. As we know in the West, often alarmist newspapr articles get everyone's wears in a twist. And, then retracted.

From the little I've heard and peeps on both sides somewhat confused, seems this does not apply to safari vehicles, where often at border crossings, visitors change vehicles/guides, though some outfitters are permitted to operate both sides of the border.

Appears to be for commercial vehicle/trucks and as I understand... Kenya does not charge.

But who knows... so best wait to learn what's what in a few days.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road closures on Kenyan Border.

I picked this up today on the "Citizen" about the new truck fees on foreign trucks coming to Tz to purchase maize now that it is allowed. It appears that this might affect bus travel so if you're traveling by bus from Nairobi you might ask before leaving, and be prepared for an increased cost of a ticket.

New fee sparks chaos at border town

Sunday, 19 February 2012 14:09

By Daniel Mjema

The Citizen Reporter

Moshi. Hundreds of vehicles were yesterday held up at the Tanzania-Kenya border town of Holili for more than eight hours following protests over new entry fees.

Protesting drivers jammed the road leading to and from the immigration offices, causing long queue of vehicles at Holili and Taveta towns on the Tanzania and Kenyan side of the border, respectively.

The Citizen on Sunday reliably learnt that the chaos was caused by a new procedure introduced by Tanzanian immigration authorities that requires truck crews from Kenya to pay $200 (over Sh310,000) in fees every time they enter the country.

A government official told this reporter that vehicles began jamming the border town from around 6am. “It is Kenyan drivers who have closed the border near the immigration offices. There is no traffic movement into or from Tanzania,” said the official, who did not want to be named.

Other sources said the new fee was aimed reducing the number of heavy-duty vehicles entering Tanzania from Kenya to ferry maize from Kilimanjaro and neighbouring regions after the government allowed Tanzanian farmers to export their produce.

The protest began after a meeting between representatives of lorry drivers and Tanzanian authorities. A police officer told The Citizen on Sunday that Kenyan lorry maintained that the fee was too high.

Truck drivers on the Tanzanian side also criticised the decision, saying it would hamper trader among the East Africa Community (EAC) member states.

Travellers had a hard time as there was no sign that by midday the situation would improve. Only one bus from Mombasa had been cleared to enter Tanzania by 2pm. The Kilimanjaro regional immigration officer, Mr Ali Ameir, confirmed the chaos when reached for comment, but said the snarl-up was on the Kenyan side of the border.

“They have blocked the Kenyan side of the border, arguing that they cannot pay the $200 fee. What can we do given that it is a requirement that they have to pay the money?” he asked.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road closures on Kenyan Border.

Asante sana Bwana.

do you know if it has been resolved?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road closures on Kenyan Border.

Don't know. I doubt if there is any resolution except to pay the fee. I do know that Tz has opened up maize exports to neighboring countries and these are the trucks that are coming there to pick up maize and take it back to perhaps Kenya. They are not allowing heavy trucks to enter Tz unless they pay the $200 fee. Doesn't impact the tourist folks, unless they classify buses as heavy trucks. I would guess that overland tours would be affected.

7. Re: Road closures on Kenyan Border.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:27