We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olduvai Fee increase

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Olduvai Fee increase

Just thought you'd be curious to know that (rather suddenly) the fee to visit the Olduvai Gorge just went up from about $3 per person to about $18 per person, effective March 1.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olduvai Fee increase

IMO that will turn away many people. Not all that many people want to look at old bones, besides, you can see similar replicas at the Old Boma Museum in Arusha.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Olduvai Fee increase

Notice came out 24th January for this increase.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olduvai Fee increase

Right, about a 1-month notice is rather 'rather sudden' given that most people plan their trips at least 3 months in advance.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olduvai Fee increase

I realise it will hit tour operators who have quoted firm prices but apart from that $3 is not going to make a big difference.

As KG, If folks want to look at old bones they need look no further than him or I! Heck I won't even charge $10!

I'll even make a footprint cast and sign it for another $!

Edited: 28 February 2012, 20:06
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olduvai Fee increase

Hopefully they will use some of the fee increase to improve their toilets unless they have done so since March, 2009. They were some of the worst we encountered back then.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Olduvai Fee increase

Don't take my word, but have to believe the powers that be have considered those who have prepaid their trips earlier.

As with the upcoming increase in daily permit fees in Rwanda, from $500 to $750, but those who booked prior the effective date (believe it's 1st Jun '12) won't be hit with the extra.

Besides, Oldupai is a short stop, if cland ient doesn't want to pay the extra, this can easily be cancelled and visitors continue onto the west or east of Oldupai.

Yes, Lauren - should use the fees to enhance the loos here! :-)

7. Re: Olduvai Fee increase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:40