We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 5 Trip Report

new jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Day 5 Trip Report

Start out at 8:00 this morning, was actually cool, used my safari jacket for the first time. Went off to a hippo pool, many, many hippos and a few crocodiles. Another sighting of a leopard in one tree and then a few miles down the same road, found another on. Feel really lucky, rare find. Saw a lion pride of around 15 lions gathered around a herd of zebras. Could tell the zebras were nervous and very aware of the lions. Then we knew why, we came across a lioness with a zebra kill. Came back to it a little while later and saw the lioness with 2 cubs which literally waked by our jeep. So far, my favorite part of the day. Saw a 2nd herd of sebra with wildebeests mixed in. Apparently they protect one another, the zebras keen sense of hearing helps. Sae reticulated and massai giraffes again today. Then during our final hours on the road we spotted a cheetah with an eland kill. Spent about an hour just observing her. Saw a baboon just sitting on top of a termite mound. And a vulture up in a tree waiting for the cheetah to leave. Got to see some jackals and a secretary bird. Weird tall bird that apparently goes after snakes, mice, rodents. Have never seen the volume of animals like you see in Tanzania. Greater and lesser flamingos, Grant and Thomson gazelles, impalas. Then off to Ndutu Lodge. Now in the lodge at night there are a number of genet cats that sit up on the rafters. At first there were 2, but when we left dinner there were 4. Pretty but they are not tame. After dinner sat outside around the campfire and looked up at the stars, which you can see much better in Africa than at home. No light pollution at all. Very beautiful.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,446 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

another great report to capture our imaginations again. Thanks....but I have a favour to ask.. would you tell us where these experiences are happening? I can't remember your itinerary...sorry.

Thanks

M

Edited: 01 March 2012, 20:49
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

Thanks again for sharing. Keep them coming, I love reading your experiences.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,210 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

Thanks again for the next instalment. it helps build a story around your photos.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

A cheetah bringing down an eland, phew, thats impressive. Sitting around the campfire at night.......nice.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,210 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

I'm guessing a Eland Calf. Lions think twice about a full grown Eland.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

I am a star-gazer and find myself constantly watching the night sky there (perhaps that's why I keep running into things there). While I have a telescope I always enjoy looking with the naked eye and through binoculars. I am fascinated by the Southern Cross and try to find it every night. The sky always looks closer there for some reason.

NYC
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

Glad you mentioned that, Karl. The African night sky is something I'm really looking forward to. We don't see many stars here in NYC.

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

The night sky is something we are really looking forward to as well!

Thanks for the reports - very much enjoying them.

9. Re: Day 5 Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 10:23