We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 6 Trip Report

new jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day 6 Trip Report

Ndutu Lodge, where we are staying for 2 nights, is situated on Lake Ndutu. It is a low-key lodge with individual stone buildings. It was one of my favorite places to stay. Unpretentious, relaxing, friendly staff, good food. Dinner is served, there is no menu. Whatever they have for that evening is what you get. With that said, the food was very good. My favorite lunch was here, meatballs, sauce and egg noodles, homemade bread, steamed veggies and a salad, absolutely delicious. Although after having a few days of boxed lunches, I was grateful not to have more chicken. The lodge as an open lounge area, a small but well stocked bar and an overall relaxed atmosphere. Off in the morning with Tom, spotted a lioness right along side the road and a few yards away a baby giraffe kill. Again spotted vultures not far off waiting their turn. Tom spotted a hyena with a broken foot walking along, I wondered if it survived the night because we did not see it again the next day. We saw more bat-eared foxes. Then a lion pride of 4 lionesses and 4 cubs, was wonderful. We then came across what I am calling the Cheetah brothers, 3 males strutting along the road. I was thrilled,we watched them for quite awhile. Another hyena and then back to the lion pride. Then we saw a secretary bird, which goes after mice, snakes and other rodents. We came across a small group of wildebeests with 3 babies. Then a lone cheetah. The lioness from the giraffe kill was still on the side of the road on our way back for lunch. At lunch took more pictures of birds in a bird bath that the lodge fills up every morning, lunch and evening. Saw the Fisher love birds, what lovely colors. Saw other birds, yellow with black, blue with gray, amazing colorful birds. Back out after lunch, passed the same lioness with the giraffe. Tom spotted an albino zebra, one with a white mane. Tom said he had never seen one. Came across the cheetah brothers, all asleep in the grass. And then we came across a female cheetah. With 4 cubs...the cutest sight to see them climbing all over mom. The prettiest little faces, with their spiked hair, definitely my favorite part of the day. That night I took pictures of the genet cats in the lounge area. I will post pictures once I sort thru the 1500 that I took. I promise it won't be all 1500:-)

Sat outside by the campfire again and wondered at our day and all that we had seen.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 6 Trip Report

Wow- what a productive game drive. Great report. Sounds like a fabulous lodge and great location. This really sounds like a great day and a very enjoyable experience. Thanks for sharing.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 6 Trip Report

All you February travellers seem to be having such incredible cat sightings, hope they hang a round a few more months. "Other birds, yellow with black, blue with grey", thats probably the bird species Ill be seeing too!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 6 Trip Report

Let's not hear too much praise for Mrs M's favourite lodge. I don't want it getting so crowded they put the prices up. (Although Stephens "budget no option" post won't care!!)

Great report fusion. thanks again.

Colourful birds at the birdbath. Black & Yellow. Masked Weavers.

Blue and Grey. Cordon Bleus? Or maybe Superb Starlings.

They will still be there for you PerthLady.

As will the predators. They don't migrate but just have to go without more often. The annual feast is over but they won't starve. Still plenty of tourists if they get really hungry. Lol.

new jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 6 Trip Report

Thanks mfuwe, I knew you would know what kind of birds I was looking at. Once I post pictures, you can correct me. I know I saw an incredible amount of beautiful birds. I must say I am not a "birder" but it is hard to leave Africa and not be impressed by the amount of beautifully adorned birds there. I have never seen such an array of colors and species, you can't help but get caught up in wanting to know what kind you are looking at. I think you are right about the cordon bleu, I just couldn't remember what our guide had told us.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 6 Trip Report

Not a birder? That's what they all say. You cannot help it after seeing what is out there. A Computer colleague came with us in 2008. Never been to Africa and did Landscape photography. He now has all the bird books on Hard Drive and has designed an app for the checklists.

He has been back twice already with the 4th in course.

Not a birder!!

Looking forward to the pictures. I am sure you will have got them fine!

( I keep threatening to write a book "An idiots guide to African birds!" in simple language. One day!)

6. Re: Day 6 Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:34