We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip for Tanzania

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning trip for Tanzania

Hello!

I’m planning a trip to Tanzania with my girlfriend for 14 days end of July/early August. I’d really appreciate if anyone has any thoughts about this (pretty rough) itinerary I’m beginning to work out. We’re particularly interested in suggestions about travel; nice/interesting places to stay (mid-range budget); and things to do...we’re not too bothered about safaris. Any comments or possible snags in our plan I’d be interested to hear about...

The other thing I was wondering about travel is whether with flights and buses I can book these when I arrive, or should this be sorted in advance?

Day 1-3: Dar to Zanzibar, stay in Stone Town two nights

Day 3-5: Pongwe Beach Hotel for two nights

Day 5: Travel to Udzungwa Mountains via Dar (ferry+bus)

Day 6-8: Hike in Udzungwa Mountains (any suggestions where to stay or which operators?)

Day 9: Travel to Mafia Island via flight from Dar

Day 10 – 12: Stay on Mafia Island

Day 13: Back to Dar for flight home the next day.

Any help most welcome. Also we’re saving up but we’re not millionaires!!

Cheers!

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip for Tanzania

There is a good chance rooms are full at Pongwe for July/August. I could be wrong, but I would put your chances at 10% of finding availability there.

Great place, though.

I know so little about Udzungwa I can't be much help. But I know enough to say that it sounds fascinating and a very unique choice. Go for it!

Then back to Mafia... hmmmm well, there is some backtracking here. To get to Mafia and back, you will be landing on Zanzibar (Ungunja) and so you'll be there at least twice, if not 3 times on this itinerary. Are you sure you want to do that backtracking? Maybe just do both islands either at the front or the back of the trip?

Edited: 03 March 2012, 21:40
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip for Tanzania

When I stayed at Udzungwa it was in the Mountain View Hotel. Clean and acceptable. I think it is owned by the same folks as run Genesis in Mikumi or it was then. However the next time I am out that way I intend to try this place. www.udzungwaforestcamp.com Take a look.

I cannot help on Zanzibar as I rarely if ever go there. Mafia is on my list to see and I think Coastal fly direct to Mafia from DAR without going via ZNZ. I can see your reasons for splitting the two beach holidays..

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip for Tanzania

Wow, Udzungwa Forest Camp is beautiful! And I love the range of activities offered. As an alternative to the ferry/bus from Dar, can one get there from Arusha by road or plane?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip for Tanzania

No need for the Ferry if starting in Dar. Coach or even Train and alight at Ifakara.

From Arusha you could fly to Ruaha, stay a few nights in that great park, and then combine a visit by road to Udzungwa. Or drive down from Arusha by two main routes. The most direct via Dodoma is not a good idea so head for Dar but take a right at Chalinze.

While down that way try the latest park at Kipengere Plateau for scenery and flowers.

Always something else to tempt us!)

Edited: 04 March 2012, 00:02
Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip for Tanzania

That's the problem. The more I know, the more I want to go!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip for Tanzania

Tell me about it. I am on the plane home from one trip and already working out how to get back to visit places I missed or have just heard about.

(I even have a Folder, in "my trips" folder, called "Next time" but don't tell Mrs M that!!)

7. Re: Planning trip for Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:16